Fuel Pump Question

truxson

I'm trying to get my 55 bird ready to go to the national fall meet. I'm having trouble with the fuel pump. I removed the bowl on the filter to clean it out, and reassembled it. Leaked my mad! When I took the filter off (out of the fuel line) the fuel pump 'lost its prime'. I can't get the system to prime and pump again. It worked fine before I took out the filter.

Yes, I blew out the fuel to tank line with compressed air. reconected everything and ..... nothing!

Any ideas?

I'm assuming your car is still 6 volt. It been years since mine was, but as I remember, it took a long time to refill the fuel lines at the cranking speed of 6 volts. Especially if the pump is bit used, and the lines are empty to the tank. I'd try putting a hand pump on, just a cheap transfer pump, and try drawing fuel to and then thru the pump. Don't remember if you can draw thru the pump. Then fill, or prime the carb, hook everything back up, and see if it pumps fuel at idle. Hopefully, someone with more experience will have a better answer.

Hi Truxson,

Is your car on level ground? If so then you shouldn't have to draw fuel into the pump since it is a gravity feed system, up to a point. Try spraying carb and choke cleaner into the throat of the carb and trying to start it. It should fire up and if you do that a couple of times it shouild get things going if the fuel pump it okay. I am somewhat familiar with this since my fuel pump croaked on Monday after a parade. It took about three tries to get fuel to the carburetor on my '57. It may take a little more with your 6 volt system.

Good Luck,