'34 1248A Berline work-up

Mahoning63

Here's a follow-on to the '33 Berline work-up using the '34 custom Town Car as base. Key would have been to drop the window sill, perhaps slightly like the 2-door convertible or even more dramatically like phaetons typical of Pierce for so long. Raked vee windshield would have completed the transformation.

9/2/13 Update: changed front door hinge back to forward position. Toggling between the images shows how dramatic the style changes simply by lowering the window sill, changing the greenhouse, rear quarters and decklid and using the coupe's rear mount instead of side mounts.

post-64521-14314216893_thumb.jpg

post-64521-143142174334_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mahoning63 (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

I especially like the trunk-back club sedan but I'd tuck the spare tire inside, under the trunk floor. That's where all modern cars were heading, led to some degree by the Silver Arrow, which of course had its spares hidden way out front. Boy, I'm glad I don't own a copy of PhotoShop or I'd never leave the keyboard.

Here's the car without the rear mount. I had included it mainly for balance in profile... the shortish trunk didn't seem to have enough visual mass to balance the rear with the rest of the car. But you make a great point and now that I look at it with fresh eyes, looks good without it too.

post-64521-143142178084_thumb.jpg

The three-box sedan was so within their grasp, how great it would have been if they'd made the conceptual leap and built them. As good as the rear-mounted spare looks, enclosing them in the body was considered more modern at the time. To accommodate the spare and add visual balance another six inches of trunk and fender lengthening would do the job.