1951 Chrysleer windsor deluxe traveler

AdW13

We got her cleaned up a bit. We think we got a great deal for 500 bucks...don't you?

We will restore and keep her ...but can anyone give me a guesstimate what she is worth now2013-08-30-102204.jpg and what she will be worth when restored?

2013-08-30-102950.jpg

2013-08-30-102858.jpg

2013-08-30-102842.jpg

Judging by the wear on the pedals and then fact it hasn't been licensed since 64...it may very well be eighteen thousand orig. Miles.

2013-08-30-102612.jpg

Backseat when we got it home wednesday.

2013-08-29-093823.jpg

Backseat after I applied elbow grease.

2013-08-30-102434.jpg

2013-08-30-102028-1.jpg

Motor number...how do I decided it?

2013-08-30-102123.jpg

I wanted to wait until the fabric picks up some moisture from the leather conditioner i put on it before i scrubbed it much...it was brittle...it is coming back to life, though.

2013-08-30-102211.jpg

Edited by AdW13 (see edit history)

I was happy it softened up...the tears that are there are from it being so brittle. I plan to put some upholstery carpet on the bottoms of the doors....below the trim...a kick panel...cuz only two door panels are completely to the bottom...I was telling hubby today I will save all the leftover material I have and condition it whenever I do the interior....I may even be able to redo the dash with a couple door bottoms.....for now.....we will enjoy it a while then really restore it...for now we will get it comfy and go.

Any chance you recognize the number wn6322702***. The title lists it as vin number but we found the vin on the door to be 67030***. Any info before we go to DMV next week would be great. My 51 chev had motor number for title purposes....where the vin should have been.

It haboth the title number and the funky vin. I thought maybe it is the last title number...before the title was transferred in 64....maybe the WN is Washington.....who knows...we will find out more when we go to DMV Thursday, I hope. The title number is 64.........and the number in question is 63........hopefully they will be able to figure it out. Probably after we pay seventy bucks and take it to esp for an inspection...ugh...thanks for your help, guys.

Guest Stephen weaver
The engine # is a 1946-8 chrysler. It should start with a C48....

the motor we got for a replacement had a plate rivited to the pad where it is stampted on our chrysler. any idea what years this could be? the plate is gone. 25 in head 265 cu tr

uck motor with a five speed stick.

The serial number should be stamped on a raised pad on the left side of the engine, toward the front, near the top edge of the cylinder block. Right behind the generator. This is the number that counts. The only time it would not have a number stamped here, would be if it was supplied as a new replacement motor, or in some cases industrial engines were unstamped. In both cases the installer was supposed to stamp them.

Sometimes you see a plate rivetted to the block, this is a rebuilder's tag.

How do you know it is a 265?

Guest Stephen weaver
The serial number should be stamped on a raised pad on the left side of the engine, toward the front, near the top edge of the cylinder block. Right behind the generator. This is the number that counts. The only time it would not have a number stamped here, would be if it was supplied as a new replacement motor, or in some cases industrial engines were unstamped. In both cases the installer was supposed to stamp them.

Sometimes you see a plate rivetted to the block, this is a rebuilder's tag.

How do you know it is a 265?

it was sold to us as an(industrial)engine and had a five speed trany. the raised pad on the block is blank except part of a rivet...

Hey jcmiller...I saw your traveler for sale page...did u sell it? Wondering if you know any sources for parts for these in our area. We live in Spokane but will be headed down to southern Oregon via Portland next month. We only need a few things....but we would like to make connections for future parts and maybe even cars down the road.

If you want to know for sure what size the engine is, there is a small pipe plug in the head, over the #6 piston. You can take this plug out and measure the stroke with a screwdriver or wire, by turning the engine thru one revolution. Its purpose is to find TDC and set the spark timing.

4 3/4=265, 4 1/2=251, 4 1/8=237. All with 3 7/16" bore. There are some small bore, 3 3/8 engines with that block but they were all Canadian Dodge/Plymouth, or industrial engines.

Guest Stephen weaver
If you want to know for sure what size the engine is, there is a small pipe plug in the head, over the #6 piston. You can take this plug out and measure the stroke with a screwdriver or wire, by turning the engine thru one revolution. Its purpose is to find TDC and set the spark timing.

4 3/4=265, 4 1/2=251, 4 1/8=237. All with 3 7/16" bore. There are some small bore, 3 3/8 engines with that block but they were all Canadian Dodge/Plymouth, or industrial engines.

i was just going to use a spark plug hole to find the stroke, thanks for the info about the timing plug. i'll do that when it quits raining. the motor is out side under a tarp for general cleaning and to get rid of the clutch. also to post pics of the motor 'number plate', blank.

Edited by Stephen weaver
plug (see edit history)

Guest Stephen weaver

IMG_20130909_151038_zps3a041ce7.jpgAreQUOmotorRchangey_OToole;1212785]If you want to know for sure what size the engine is, there is a small pipe plug in the head, over the #6 piston. You can take this plug backwards?nd measure the stroke with a screwdriver or wire, by turning the engine thru one revolution. Its purpose is to find TDC and set the spark timing.

2013-09-05_12-22-19_95_zps6af505d0.jpg

The motor is the 265 cu. in..

2013-09-05_12-22-37_81_zps2c2dab34.jpg

I need to change the pan and maybe the remote oil filter. The oil lines in the Chrysler are much bigger. The trunk motor has the sump in the front. are the freeze plugs in backw

"Oil lines much bigger" some had partial flow oil filters, these had small oil lines. Chrysler went to a full flow in the late 40s with larger lines. 50 - 54 Chrysler and DeSoto had full flow filter in an aluminum tower.

An industrial engine could have no filter, partial flow or full flow.

Freeze plugs look like the "wrong" kind. OEM were flat, convex. Other engines used a cup shaped plug with a raised edge. Looks like this engine could have the cup shaped ones indicating a repair or rebuild.

Another thing they did was to put 2 plugs in places that were hard to get at, like behind the flywheel and inside the bellhousing. This was for extra security in long term use.

Guest Stephen weaver
"Oil lines much bigger" some had partial flow oil filters, these had small oil lines. Chrysler went to a full flow in the late 40s with larger lines. 50 - 54 Chrysler and DeSoto had full flow filter in an aluminum tower.

An industrial engine could have no filter, partial flow or full flow.

Freeze plugs look like the "wrong" kind. OEM were flat, convex. Other engines used a cup shaped plug with a raised edge. Looks like this engine could have the cup shaped ones indicating a repair or rebuild.7

Another thing they did was to put 2 plugs in places that were hard to get at, like behind the flywheel and inside the bellhousing. This was for extra security in long term use.

The top picture is from the flywheel end, i thought these freeze plugs were in backwards. The trucnk block was necked down for the smaller oil lines, i hope the larger lines are a bolt in.the truck has the dip stick in the pan, but is tapped for the Chrysler dip stick and pan

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Stephen weaver
The top picture is from the flywheel end, i thought these freeze plugs were in backwards. The trucnk block was necked down for the smaller oil lines, i hope the larger lines are a bolt in.the truck has the dip stick in the pan, but is tapped for the Chrysler dip stick and pan

i measured the stroke with the plug in the #6 cylinder, ieet was about 6 7/8 with the head. i got the motor on the engine stand to take the truck parts off. it is the 265 motor.

here are those fancy rod bolts with no heads

2013-09-26_18-54-18_341_zps693308d2.jpg