Pictures of my 1917 Maxwell, unrestored

mrcvs

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Great car! Do you know the history of the vehicle?

Yes, it was in Massachusetts until I bought it several years ago. History prior to 1946 unknown. Bought at an auction in that year for $27. Moved to a heated garage where it sat until 1998. I am the fourth owner since 1998.

mrcvs, since you have an all original Maxwell I wondered if you could help me with a measurement? My Maxwell Light delivery came to me with the entire seating area missing.

I need the measurement from the floorboards up to the top of the seat cushion. Also the measurement from the bottom of the steering wheel rim down to the top of the seat cushion.

Thanks,

Howard Dennis

mrcvs, since you have an all original Maxwell I wondered if you could help me with a measurement? My Maxwell Light delivery came to me with the entire seating area missing.

I need the measurement from the floorboards up to the top of the seat cushion. Also the measurement from the bottom of the steering wheel rim down to the top of the seat cushion.

Thanks,

Howard Dennis

Okay, will do. But give me a few months to do this, as my Maxwell is currently in a barn 18 miles from here and I don't get out that way but every 2 or 3 months. Thanks!

Okay, will do. But give me a few months to do this, as my Maxwell is currently in a barn 18 miles from here and I don't get out that way but every 2 or 3 months. Thanks!

Thanks, I have my body scattered around my garage now and hope to start reassembly in a few weeks so I will have to try for this information elsewhere.

Howard Dennis

Okay, will try and swing by there later next week. Might be able to do so next week. I will give it a try, if I can get into the barn over the winter When you state you want the measurement from the bottom of the steering wheel to the top of the seat cushion, I assume you mean the shortest measurement??? By the way, the seat cushion is definitely original.

Howard,

I'll send you the mesurements from my '21 touring this weekend. Just bought it in October and trying to free the engine now. Where are you in Georgia. My car is stored in SC about 30 miles from the Georgia line off of I85.

Howard,

I'll send you the mesurements from my '21 touring this weekend. Just bought it in October and trying to free the engine now. Where are you in Georgia. My car is stored in SC about 30 miles from the Georgia line off of I85.

Dave, Thanks for the offer. I'm a little worried you might not come up with the same measurements I need as I know for a fact that the 1918 Maxwell had a different frame and longer wheelbase than my 1917. I'm located 11 miles south of Macon in Byron, right in the middle of the state.

Howard Dennis

post-33891-143142914774_thumb.jpg

Okay, will try and swing by there later next week. Might be able to do so next week. I will give it a try, if I can get into the barn over the winter When you state you want the measurement from the bottom of the steering wheel to the top of the seat cushion, I assume you mean the shortest measurement??? By the way, the seat cushion is definitely original.

Thanks Ivan, I'm installing a wooden light delivery body that someone designed for a Model T and the seating is too close to the steering wheel. I need to know how much to lower the seat platform by cutting it down to lower the cushion. I figure if I size it to the dimensions of your original seat I should be pretty close to what it originally was. Your measurement from the floorboards up to the top of the cushion and down from the bottom of the steering wheel to the top of the cushion should get me in the ballpark.

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

I will get the measurement for you, of course, but you might be closer than you think. The distance is much closer than you think. I am not a big individual, and even I find it easier to get in on the passenger side and slide myself under the steering wheel rather than getting in on the driver's side. It is a tighter squeeze than one would find today, but I would guess most folks were much smaller in 1917 than today.

Howard,

I know exactly where Byron, GA is...use to pass by there all the time when I lived in FL, traveling back home to NC. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I get further into it. Mrcvs, is your upholstry leather or imatation leather?

post-33891-143142914994_thumb.jpg

I will get the measurement for you, of course, but you might be closer than you think. The distance is much closer than you think. I am not a big individual, and even I find it easier to get in on the passenger side and slide myself under the steering wheel rather than getting in on the driver's side. It is a tighter squeeze than one would find today, but I would guess most folks were much smaller in 1917 than today.

It looks right in photos but I can just barely sit under the wheel and I'm sitting on bare wood with no cushion at all. Being a commercial vehicle I imagine it would not have a spring cushion but just a padded cushion like earlier horse drawn vehicles. You may be right and your measurements may be very close to what I already have and in that case I'm going to have to create something I can live with, a cross between original and something I can get in and out of.

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

In response to #15 and #16, above: Howard, do you still want the measurements? If I were you, I would simply create a fabrication that you are comfortable with, as you will find the true dimensions to be a rather tight squeeze, unless you are below average stature. The upholstery is not leather, and I don't think any Maxwell's had leather upholstery. I would describe it as a canvas base coated with a rubber or rubber-like material.

In response to #15 and #16, above: Howard, do you still want the measurements? If I were you, I would simply create a fabrication that you are comfortable with, as you will find the true dimensions to be a rather tight squeeze, unless you are below average stature. The upholstery is not leather, and I don't think any Maxwell's had leather upholstery. I would describe it as a canvas base coated with a rubber or rubber-like material.

Thanks Ivan, don't bother, I'll figure it out myself.

Howard Dennis

Ivan, thanks for your info on the seat material. That's what I thought. Another question to all of you. My engine is still stuck from sitting for 20 years. I've been soaking it in a mixture of Marvel Mistery Oil and kerosene since the first of November and rocking it hard it low gear weekly. I think I'm going to have to open it up. Any suggestions on sources for engine gaskets, especially a head gasket?

Ivan, thanks for your info on the seat material. That's what I thought. Another question to all of you. My engine is still stuck from sitting for 20 years. I've been soaking it in a mixture of Marvel Mistery Oil and kerosene since the first of November and rocking it hard it low gear weekly. I think I'm going to have to open it up. Any suggestions on sources for engine gaskets, especially a head gasket?

Dave, I've never tried it but have heard of putting boiling water in the block can sometimes expand the cylinders just enough to let the Marvel Mystery Oil get past the rings and soak the walls.

For gaskets try: http://www.olsonsgaskets.com/

Howard Dennis

That's a new one on me. I'll give it a try.

Dave, after I responded I was trying to think out the mechanic's of my answer and if it were me I eliminate the radiator from this and try to get as much hot water into the empty block as soon as possible for maximum effect. Just wondering, is your hot water heater very near your garage? Mine is in the garage and would make it easy to tap as a source of a large quantity of hot water for multiple applications to get the block as hot as possible.

Just thinking out loud, your mileage may vary,

Howard Dennis

Yes, I do have a small hot water heater in the garage. I thought about that as well as firing up the turkey fryer with a big pot of water. I'm wondering if the valves or lifters may be stuck. Planning on pulling off the side cover an see if the valves are free. Rocking the car hard shows no sign of movement in the fan.

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)

post-50475-143142920122_thumb.jpg

This is my 1921 Maxwell. It's a 23,000 mile car which has been maintained since new as needed. I'm the fourth owner and knew the second owner whose father bought it new. It sat in storage for about 20 years before I bought it in October. Still working on freeing the stuck engine. The car was originally from New York but has been in the Carolinas since the 1970's. I'm looking for a 1921 Information Book / owners manual for this car. It's amazing what a cup of kerosene in a bucket of water will do to an old finish. The keys had been misplaced, but Key-Men in MA was able to cut keys for it. Hoping to have it running and on the show field for the AACA National at Charlotte in April.

post-50475-14314292012_thumb.jpg