schematic window cylinder vacuum connection

Guest Joosten

Guest Joosten

Does anyone know how it must be installed ?

and where from does he get the vacuum ? (All I have is the cilinders and a big vacuum pot/tube)

:confused:

Edited by Joosten (see edit history)

Bart, you will find out that the vacuum window system was abandoned by Lincoln back in 1942 and they went back to the original "crank" sysyem. Some LZOC members have successfully converted their windows to the 46-48 hydraulic system. Our club president Al Mcwade is presently helping a member to convert his 42 LZ convertible to the hydraulic system and should be able to advise you in the conversion if you are interested in the system. The less troublesome "crank" sysem could be a considered conversion since more parts from 46-48 parts cars are available.

You need the 1942 Lincoln body parts catalog to help with your restoration. If you would go the ebay and type in "1942 lincoln body pars catalog" you will find several listed for sale. Also the 1936-48 Lincoln chassis parts catalog is the "bible" you also need. On the LZOC web page go to "sources", click on Earle Brown, print out his available parts catalog-he sells this valuable reprint.

You need to definitely join LZOC. The annual membership directory lists 1942 Lincoln owners who will give you a wealth of restoration information. A membership application is available onthe website to print out and send in.

Mr Colin Spong in England is also a valauable source of information on Lincolns for you. His phone listed in the directory is 0 208 500 4039 in ESSEX, ENGLAND.

Just remember you are not alone in your restoration. LZOC club members are here to help. Just ask. There are NO dumb questions. Have fun...

I think the word you mean is schematic. Not schedule...vacuum always comes off a port behind the carb. It will need a reserve tank probably mountednina fender,like postwars have for wiper power.....very few have be enable to make

vacuum windows function reliably to they are converted..... Suggest electric?http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CEUQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.a1electric.com%2Fstreet_rod.htm&ei=hlEiUqrQKKXKyQHz6oGgCQ&usg=AFQjCNHlD-wBP9Pz-oDcXB9enh960F_gRw&sig2=0MwDAB7ZME6Xb7YNtkapVQ&bvm=bv.51495398,d.aWc

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

Mr Bwatoe, you mean "hydraulic: not electric...Hydraulic is the system to raise and lower the windows...the electric is just the "switch" which turns on the hydraulic motor which pumps the fluid to the window cylinders that raise and lower the windows...Lincoln never had elecric windows till the 50's.

No, I meant electric...if cars not authentic, then practicality is next in my opinion....I would not want tTogo to that trouble

with hydraulics and hoses and harnesses...where as a newer retrofit electric could be had with minimal modification to the original...no cumbersome pump, fluids etc.....

I would make the vacuum work...one way or another! That's the challenge of it

Guest Joosten
Bart, you will find out that the vacuum window system was abandoned by Lincoln back in 1942 and they went back to the original "crank" sysyem. Some LZOC members have successfully converted their windows to the 46-48 hydraulic system. Our club president Al Mcwade is presently helping a member to convert his 42 LZ convertible to the hydraulic system and should be able to advise you in the conversion if you are interested in the system. The less troublesome "crank" sysem could be a considered conversion since more parts from 46-48 parts cars are available.

You need the 1942 Lincoln body parts catalog to help with your restoration. If you would go the ebay and type in "1942 lincoln body pars catalog" you will find several listed for sale. Also the 1936-48 Lincoln chassis parts catalog is the "bible" you also need. On the LZOC web page go to "sources", click on Earle Brown, print out his available parts catalog-he sells this valuable reprint.

You need to definitely join LZOC. The annual membership directory lists 1942 Lincoln owners who will give you a wealth of restoration information. A membership application is available onthe website to print out and send in.

Mr Colin Spong in England is also a valauable source of information on Lincolns for you. His phone listed in the directory is 0 208 500 4039 in ESSEX, ENGLAND.

Just remember you are not alone in your restoration. LZOC club members are here to help. Just ask. There are NO dumb questions. Have fun...

John, so they build the '42 in the beginning with vacuum windows ?

i think it is original with this car,I think al the parts are there,the reserve tank to,I must look,but my father said the wipers are also vacuum system.

we will Join the club, I only don't know yet how we must pay , maybe credit card is an option,I don't have that,maybe my father..

does anyone know how many times in a year the club book comes out ?

Mr.colin is the person who helps the first man who imported the car,I think.

Only he doesn't worked to the car I think,

before us someone else had the car,he had done some work as the brake system,he has 3 more Lincoln's 2 cabrio's one '42 tax €200.000 ! He also want to sell him know for €155,000 is on the internet now.

And a younger one and a coupe 3 window for sell to , completely restored all of them. But this one was to much for him,

And I think his health doesn't help him also.

thanks for the help !

Guest Joosten
No, I meant electric...if cars not authentic, then practicality is next in my opinion....I would not want tTogo to that trouble

with hydraulics and hoses and harnesses...where as a newer retrofit electric could be had with minimal modification to the original...no cumbersome pump, fluids etc.....

I would make the vacuum work...one way or another! That's the challenge of it

If the vacuum system is original made from the factory back in'42 than we ensure that it is going to work !

that is indeed a challenge,but I think that is the beautiful thing about repair the older cars 'challenge' !!

It should not all go naturally !

Edited by Joosten (see edit history)

Guest Joosten
I think the word you mean is schematic. Not schedule...vacuum always comes off a port behind the carb. It will need a reserve tank probably mountednina fender,like postwars have for wiper power.....very few have be enable to make

vacuum windows function reliably to they are converted..... Suggest electric?

Does the vacuum comes from the intake manifold ? See picture where the hose is , on the right of the carb,this one is now plugged

null_zps6aeb0814.jpg

Bart ...Membership overseas is $63.00. The cub magazine comes out 6 times a year. A former club president by the name of Chad Coombs did an article on the 42 vacuum clyinders years ago. If I can find it I'll make a copy and send it to you. Need your mailing address. Another club member by the name of Mike Gerner has dealt with 42 Lincolns for years and should be very knowledgable on your problems. Try him at mgerner01@comcast.net. Maybe he has your requested schematic.

Guest Joosten
Bart ...Membership overseas is $63.00. The cub magazine comes out 6 times a year. A former club president by the name of Chad Coombs did an article on the 42 vacuum clyinders years ago. If I can find it I'll make a copy and send it to you. Need your mailing address. Another club member by the name of Mike Gerner has dealt with 42 Lincolns for years and should be very knowledgable on your problems. Try him at mgerner01@comcast.net. Maybe he has your requested schematic.

Thank you John !

my e-mail address is bart.bianca@hotmail.com

Guest Joosten
Need a wider photo and not so dark. The fitting appears to be for a vacuum source. Could be for the windshield wiper motor? That is the normal port for them.

I'll try to make some better pictures next time,an other member already said it is for the vacuum windows and wiper,

but thank you verry much,the only little thing is that the intake collector is from a older Lincoln and there is a carburettor of a ford on it with 3 bold flange.

John, many parts houses offer restoration parts with hot rod updates, like power windows.

(just google if you are really interested,)

I can post some links...but it sounds like Bart wants to attempt a restoration as made in Dearborn, not limited to the Struggles of.

a few past owners..

Bart, I have never had a 42' but most h-v12's use the front vacuum port for the distributor vacuum brake, and the rear port for vacuum driven accessories, both are not ported, but straight manifold vacuum..

Guest Joosten
Bart, I will be pleased to assist in any way possible but my telphone number has changed since the last directory was issued. It is now 44-1708-765239

Colin Spong LZOC Foreign Correspondent.

Collin, I will send you an e- mail , I can write better in English than talk :D

Bart

I have a 1942 Continental #160 built Dec14,1941. It has vacuum windows still in it . I'm converting to manual from 41 for $150. This is the second or third 42 I've converted. It is a lot less painful than the hydro 46 to 48 with brake fluid ,lines and smell. It is original for manual. Ford gave up and with their staff and money I sure would follow suit and spend the money on a nice driving Lincoln. The electric windows on hot rods that I have worked on are 12 volts I had the last one built before the war (Jan.26,1942) and it had vacuum windows. Some one tried to change it to hydro electric (46) and I changesd it out in 1961 for manual. They work.

If you need pictures or parts I'm going to pull this out. There is a tank under both front fenders and a t off for windshield wipers. I'm working on converting back from V8 TO V 12 motor should be ready this week. I get them running first then put them together.

Lee Waldren Ft. Myers, Fl.