Need recommendations for proper transmission, brake and oil fluids

Guest miturn

Guest miturn

Bringing ol' Trudy Bird out of long term storage. Please let me know what ya'll are using nowadays for transmission, brake and crankcase fluids as well as fuel and crankcase additives in this new age of 'crappy' fuel , ethanol and whatever else big brother is gagging us with.

Thanks in advance,

Rod Marcom

Carol Marcom

1956 T-bird

Guest miturn

I am using Rotella 15W40 oil -- has more zinc. You could also use the Amsoil -- a synthetic, but I have no experience with that. For the tranny and steering, use type F fluid. Brake fluid DOT 3. This info I got from one of the T-bird parts guys, so I assume it is correct and will work for all/

I will also use the BG Ethanol defender products to protect from the water created by the stupid addition of ethanol to our gas - now my model T likes it just fine, for cars in that era would run on gasoline, leaded or not, kerosene and alcohol -- not so with our little birds, I think.

Guest skygazer

I have over 3000 miles on my '55 t-bird since the engine & trans rebuild. The shop that rebuilt the ford-o-matic recommended DexIII instead of type F. If your tranny is stock, you may want to stick with type F. I am running Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc, and I'm very happy with the transmission performance. Of course, it drips a little, but I don't blame the ATF for that. It hasn't gotten worse in 14 months.

I use Valvoline VR1 oil... first used 20w50 VR1, then found 10w30 VR1 synthetic (the blue oil) on sale. I expect to go back to 20w50, since the blue stuff has gotten harder to find. Not that I'm normally a Valvoline guy... but I specifically look for "good for flat tappet engines" on the label.

I use DOT 3&4 brake fluid, out of respect for rubber in the brake system. I use distilled water and DEI Radiator Relief instead of coolant.