Certificate for proof of award

Guest 69boss9

Guest 69boss9

I think it would be great if when you win an award, that you would receive your trophy and a certificate to help document your car.

When you win a First Junior and up you receive your grill badge which is to be mounted on the front of the car. AACA national publishes the awards after every meet and maintains a listing of all previous winners. Your car is registered by VIN number with National and they maintain the records. I think you already have good documentation of your award.

I think it would be great if when you win an award, that you would receive your trophy and a certificate to help document your car.

I brought that up at the G/N Judging school in Moline and got nowhere with that idea. It is true the AACA has the VIN in their records with its

awards but would they give that info to Non-Members if that person wants documentation on a certain car he wants to purchase?? Like to know.

Thanks; Larry P.S.--FWIW; every major judging org. gives a certificate with the car achievments to the onwer. (NCRS-B/G-ACA-Mopars Assoc. & etc)

AACA is constantly looking at ways to make our judging/award program better. While I have not seen all that other clubs do it is obvious that most clubs have one national meet a year. This year we have 9 and well over 4,000 cars to judge. Ours is a different animal than most clubs due to the volume. Our trophies cost upwards of $100 each (senior) which I believe is far more than most clubs plus the grille badges we give which in many cases have to be engraved. We do a lot. The logistics and work involved for our staff in doing certificates would be rather extraordinary and further add expense to the club. Our dues are already the lowest of most major clubs and we are doing our best to try to keep them low. So, that being said we will continue to evaluate the need for certificates.

Steve: Thanks much for nice response. Don't know what other members think but to me a "Bonified AACA Certificate" with the

cars VIN on it and award given would mean much more to me than any trophy. FYI: NCRS has far more meets and cars to be

judged at their Chapter/Regional/National meets than the AACA. At all of their meets Certificate of Awards are given. With todays computers

"creating" a Certificate would be only a little more work.IMHO Thanks Again; Larry P.S. Would like to hear from other members on this

subject.

Steve: Thanks much for nice response. ................................... With todays computers

"creating" a Certificate would be only a little more work.IMHO ...................

IIskis, You have no idea of the hours the "girls" (not calling you a girl Steve! :)) at Headquarters are putting in now. I know that some actually work at times after hours to prepare for National Activities that are about to occur. Personally, I am embarrassed sometimes to call on them when I know they already have a heavy work load.

That being said, every award winner that I have seen at a National Meet has a REALLY BIG smile on their face when they pick up their big trophy award. Most first timers are really surprised at the weight of the trophy. Maybe at some point we can provide a certificate in lieu of the trophy, but I'd bet you would have few takers. :)

Wayne

FYI: NCRS has far more meets and cars to be

judged at their Chapter/Regional/National meets than the AACA. At all of their meets Certificate of Awards are given. With todays computers

"creating" a Certificate would be only a little more work.IMHO Thanks Again; Larry P.S. Would like to hear from other members on this

subject. I only listed our national meets, not our hundreds of regional and chapter meets which do not qualify for national awards. The creation of the certificate is not necessarily the issue as with some programming it could be done. That would require some $$ as we have many types of awards in our judging system with HPOF, DPC and Class Judging. Mailing them out is where the real issue comes in (there is no time to generate these at the meet as we are always working on the deadline to have the results for the banquet).<!-- google_ad_section_end --> Your idea of a certificate is not a bad one but we saw little positive reaction from the small group at the roundtable. I have not heard any other member ever bring this subject up but if it is something that our members want we will certainly take a look at it. II O

Guest billybird

Hold on just a sec. I have such a paper from AACA no less. Evidently, a few years ago AACA mailed out papers to all vehicles winning an award at a National Meet from 1982- 2007. It has the vehicle AACA#, make, year and VIN. If a person kept this paper coupled with the badge on the car { numbered also } not to mention the congratulatory letter received after the win, I don't know how much more proof anyone would need.

• 10 months later...

I always liked the "Winners Book" which was published every year and listed the owners name, car (but without ID numbers or body styles), show the 1st Junior was awarded and stars (asterisks) denoted additional levels of achievement. At one time the book was given to all members, but it got too large and too expensive to give away. They it was offered for sale, but I am unsure enough people purchased it. I am unsure if it is still published. My point is that with this book you could l track a member's achievements and that of his/her cars all the way back to 1954. The book was like an archive of achievement. But, I also remember when AACA had 6,000 members and I was one of them. Times change, expenses get higher with member growth and inflation. My point is that you can go to all the local shows and/or some individual club shows and win everything every time, and two weeks later nobody knows or cares. With AACA you achievement is listed, somewhere in the AACA records indefinitely. I think that is pretty profound and to me it sets AACA apart and into a class of its own.

This response comes from a guy who has far too much paper laying around. I've received a lot of certificates over the years and don't know where most of them went. Granted a certificate for a national award would be a cut above the average, but it's still just another piece of paper (framing optional) to get lost in the shuffle. I think having the badge mounted on the car is great. It stays with the vehicle, and that trumps a certificate anytime IMHO.

But - here is a thought...some may like to have a certificate framed, along with a picture of their car hanging on the office wall. This could be a potential money-maker (or at least a break-even) for AACA. How about when you win a national award, if you want a nice suitable for framing certificate, send in xxx$$$ and it'll be mailed to you. That way, no extra cost to the organization if price was properly structured, and if the club made a buck or two on them it could help defray costs for awards. I might even order a couple for my vehicles to frame and hang at the office along with photos of them.

I think that we used to do that with membership certificates years ago - you got your card when joining, but a framable certificate was something you could order.

This response comes from a guy who has far too much paper laying around. I've received a lot of certificates over the years and don't know where most of them went. Granted a certificate for a national award would be a cut above the average, but it's still just another piece of paper (framing optional) to get lost in the shuffle. I think having the badge mounted on the car is great. It stays with the vehicle, and that trumps a certificate anytime IMHO.

But - here is a thought...some may like to have a certificate framed, along with a picture of their car hanging on the office wall. This could be a potential money-maker (or at least a break-even) for AACA. How about when you win a national award, if you want a nice suitable for framing certificate, send in xxx$$$ and it'll be mailed to you. That way, no extra cost to the organization if price was properly structured, and if the club made a buck or two on them it could help defray costs for awards. I might even order a couple for my vehicles to frame and hang at the office along with photos of them.

I think that we used to do that with membership certificates years ago - you got your card when joining, but a framable certificate was something you could order.

Terry: Nice idea; good idea but it will get nowhere with this club. I brought this up at the discussion/judging school at last years G/N meet in Moline. It got

absolutely nowhere. I personally would rather have a bonefide AACA Certificate (with Vin on it) than any trophy. Trophys are a "dime a dozen" and mean nothing

to me. Your top organizations for judging (Bloomington Gold-NCRS-Mopar Groups) all give out certificates; not trophys. Of course this is JMHO-Larry

Additional Info: One question that may come up is how would that effect the Awards Banquets? With the other Org. at

their Banquets a Ribbon (Blue for 1st-Green for 2nd-Red for 3rd)(No Vin's on them-just generic)are handed out just

like the trophys are handed out at AACA. The Official Certificate (with seal) are mailed to the car owners. Works well-Larry

Edited by llskis
Added Info (see edit history)

Personally, I am VERY proud of my AACA trophies and they are displayed prominently with my Concours awards. I would not like to see them done away with. I like Terry's idea of allowing for a framed certificate to be purchased by the owner as an additional display. Money making potential for the club and just might fill a need.

Larry, hard to read the tone in your email but it comes down to whether the members really are interested in your idea. There was little positive reaction from the small group at the round table and in the 10+ years I have been here you are the first to bring up the idea. We do not have that much to go on. Trust me, our trophies are not a "dime a dozen" but rather close to $100 or more each!!! The smiling faces, cheers and picture taking at national meets certainly do not indicate that trophies are not wanted by our members.

You, me and just about everyone else has an idea that WE would like the club to approve. The fact is that we have 60,000 members to serve and at times ideas do not go forward since there is just not enough interest in doing so. Other decisions end up immediately being adopted by the club. Last week we had an idea come to us and it is already approved.

Larry, hard to read the tone in your email but it comes down to whether the members really are interested in your idea. There was little positive reaction from the small group at the round table and in the 10+ years I have been here you are the first to bring up the idea. We do not have that much to go on.....

Thanks Steve. I was not at that Meet, but I will invite everyone that attends a National Meet to, please, attend these AACA Roundtables. It's your best opportunity to express your views to the AACA Board. AACA National Events are the best place to share your views with the Board, because you will see more of us in a Roundtable than anywhere else during the year.

Wayne

Steve: Thanks Much for your comments; always like to hear your side; now some counterpoints: When I said "Dime a Dozen" I did not mean that

to be the "price" of the trophy. I have gotten some from AACA and they are very nice and well made. What I ment was that "Trophys in my mind "come

and go" with time. A bonefide certificate with a clubs seal and vin will be with the car for life. No one 20 years from now will even know what that trophy

was given for and for what car. A certificate will. Again; all major judging clubs do that; so it can't be all wrong.

The smiling faces, cheers and picture taking at national meets certainly do not indicate that trophies are not wanted by our members.

Counterpoint: Lots of smiling faces,cheers and picture taken at the meets of the orig. I indicated for "Blue Ribbons and Certificates. So AACA is not unique with the "smiles".

You, me and just about everyone else has an idea that WE would like the club to approve. The fact is that we have 60,000 members to serve and at times ideas do not go forward since there is just not enough interest in doing so. Other decisions end up immediately being adopted by the club. Last week we had an idea come to us and it is already approved.

What was it may I ask? I did not see a "two way street" at the "Roundtables and Judges Schools" I attended. Sorry, but it was what I saw/heard. Larry

Have not been on the forum that much so sorry for the delayed response. A member suggested to us that we recognize all the region members when present our region trophy at the meets. This is a nice idea to have everyone come up versus just the meet chair or president. At smaller meets we can do this. The fact is that virtually every year many suggestions are adopted by the club based upon member input. That is why we exist. If we do not do what members want we will die.

You are passionate about your idea and that is great. We will discuss it at a future committee meeting but so far we still have not seen a lot of support for the idea. We give out certificates for other projects and quite frankly there are a significant number of people who tell us they just don't care.

The solution may be if you want a certificate we certainly can make you up one!

• 2 weeks later...

How about a certificate and a $50 gift card in lieu of a $100 trophy, award winners choice. That would put a smile on my face. Then I'd give the card to my wife and it would put a smile on her face. A smiling wife's face is the most valuable thing a car guy can can have.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

In addition to the beautiful trophy given for winning my First Junior, I received a very nice formal letter signed by Herb Oakes (I believe) which stated my badge number, make and model of the car, requirements for placement on the vehicle, and most importantly congratulations from the AACA. I can't think of anything more formal or fitting than the letter and trophy. I have framed my letter and attached the "dash plaque" to the glass/letter and have it displayed in my office. If I ever (not gonna happen!) sell the car, the letter certainly will suffice as to the accomplishments/pedigree. Additionally, the First Junior trophy serves as a nice weapon in the event of a break-in at my business. I'm quite certain that due to its weight (got to weigh 8 pounds or more) a good smack on the head of a wanna-be-robber would put him down for the count. :)

Now, the Senior award - that's elegance. All's well in my book.

By the way - do we receive a similar letter for earning our Senior?

Edited by AJFord54 (see edit history)

I really don't see the need for a certificate myself. Over the past 40 years some of my cars have gone through the system in the AACA as well as the brand specific club for each particular cars make. One of the brand clubs that I also belong too has the "tradition" handing out certificates when you are awarded with an oval. I had gotten several of these certificates and have no idea where are or where they went. I also have accumulated a few trophies and the only ones I have kept were the ones I have earned at AACA National Meets and maybe two others from another club's National Meet. I think the AACA trophies are fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...
How about a certificate and a $50 gift card in lieu of a $100 trophy, award winners choice. That would put a smile on my face. Then I'd give the card to my wife and it would put a smile on her face. A smiling wife's face is the most valuable thing a car guy can can have.............Bob

Happy wife, happy life!!