First time at Hershey.

Guest Seville 56

Guest Seville 56

I am planning my first visit to Hershey. I am going specifically to locate parts to finish an ongoing project. Are parts (electrical, brake, etc.) or certain make cars (Cadillac, Chevy, etc.) separated into certain locations or is it pretty much scattered all throughout the grounds? Thanks for any info you can provide!

I would take a good look at the program, check out the vendors who fit the categories that they specialize in, and at least plan a "route" to see each one in as logical a manner as possible. From getting to point A to point B, keep your eyes open for what you're looking for along the way, and get a feel for the lay of the land, so to speak. You probably want to do this one "field" at a time (by color, such as Chocolate, Red, etc.).

I wore a pedometer last year that was given to me; just for the heck of it I put it on, and averaged walking about 7-8 miles a day!

Bring a list of what you need, with part numbers and pictures if you can. Ask the vendors who specialize in your car...just because you don't see it doesn't mean they don't have it. Take extra copies of your list to leave with vendors. Wednesday and Thursday best days to be looking for parts. If you can only come on Saturday, spend your time on the show field talking to folks who have the same car----the flea market will be mostly deserted by then.

John

Starfireelvis, I have worn a pedometer pretty much every time I've been to Hershey and I was surprised that I cover 5-7 miles each day as well. I thought that was an optimistic reading but guess not if that's what yours reads. Of course, it's probably not entirely accurate as some steps are not full strides.

Seville, definitely the first thing you should do is buy a program and use it to plan where you want to go. The only thing is I still find the Hershey flea market numbering system confusing. You have to really watch where you are.

Edited by John_Maine (see edit history)

Guest Henry White

Good walking shoes are a must. Warm & cold weather gear and a bag or cart to carry things is nice too. I used to fill a backpack with iron and carry big fenders, but now it's more like some plastic bags and lenses, light stuff.

It's all paved surface now, clean, but hard on the old back. I miss the mud. It was like walking on a cloud, much nicer.

I always just wander, and I find the best items are scattered all over the fields, most are not from a vendor of specific brands. After 30 years of doing Hershey I have a good idea where to find the goodies. I hope to make it again this year.

The weather can be in the 30's in the mornings or it can be in the high 80's in the afternoon.

It may be sunny so bring sun screen.

A rain shower is passable but most vendors will shut down in a rain.

I started in 2001 & have seen everything but snow and that has happened previously.

I have found that an extra pair of socks give some relief in the afternoon.

There are kids providing a hauling service when you can find them.

Many people use a wagon, with an extended handle for comfort.

I use a 2 wheel cart with a crate and a board to sit on when tired.

Also makes a great way to haul most treasures back to the cart.

It's also a place to put the rain gear, socks, shoes, and store coats as you take them off.

The swap field is about 1.2 miles long and a good 1/2 mile wide.

There are 10,000 spaces, each 30 X 10 feet.

If you are walking past the spaces at 10 feet each, you then have to walk 60 feet to the next isle.

And this doesn't include walking the 20 feet from one side to the other.

I have seen people list the items wanted on a l card attached to their back.

This is the ultimate hunt for treasures, I don't know of anything better.

My brother drives in 650 miles and then we drive another 450 miles.

The weather is always a challenge but restoring a car and hunting for parts a just a challenge.

The main problem with Hershey is you don't want to miss it in the future.

Have fun & I will be the one with a Hupmobile ball cap.

• 3 weeks later...

Mr. Huptoy is right: Autumn weather in Hershey is variable.

Take it from someone who lives close: The TYPICAL high temperature

is 60-75. A light jacket, or no jacket at all, will suffice during the

afternoon. Mornings could be in the 40's or 50's. Last year there was

frost on the ground in the morning, but that was quite unusual. Snow

would be a once-in-25-year occurrence here in southern Pennsylvania.

A spectacular day could hit 80 degrees. I've seen an uncommon

Hershey day where it was cold and rainy and the high temperature didn't

get above 45; so plan for extremes, but you likely won't encounter them often.

We have been to Hershey when it was 91 degrees (early '80s) as well as when it was 27 degrees in the morning ('90s). If the current weather pattern holds here in PA it should be beautiful weather.
In 2006 or 2007 we rolled into Hershey and it was in the 90's. I had the fire truck on the trailer and when we were coming down Route #15 through Steam Valley, my truck got so hot going up the hill by the Turkey Ranch that I stopped getting an odometer reading and got a message across my odometer stating "high coolant temperature." Last year when we rolled in to get the Jeep, the thermometer in my truck read 29 degrees. All I can say is that rolling down Hersheypark drive in a Jeep with no doors and no heat in 29 degree temperatures was cold.