1904 Model H.

Guest Casper Friedrich

Guest Casper Friedrich

Browsing through Austrian national libray's digitalized Österreischer Motor-der Flug I found a bluprint for the aircooled Ford model H.

ÖNB-ANNO - Österreichischer/Europa Motor

Never heard of that prototype before. The quote from Horseless Age doesn't mention that it never saw production.

BTW The same 1925 issue had a feature on the contemporary Morton & Brett speedster:

ÖNB-ANNO - Österreichischer/Europa Motor

• 4 weeks later...

Wayne, not an expert, but thanks for notifying me.

Casper, thank you for posting this. Another great site for any Pre 1927 Ford information is the "Model T Ford Club of America (and International, another great Ford site).

I have an article dated February 1904 detailing an air cooled car Ford is displaying at the Detroit Auto Show. It appears the cylinder dimensions are the same as your article. Also, attached is an ad that ran in the New "York Sun", showing a "Model H".

Thank you again for posting.

Rob Heyen

I've not posted on this site for some time, so not sure I'm able to post pics, but I'll try:

post-54838-143142207192_thumb.jpg

post-54838-143142207203_thumb.jpg

This discussion has grown considerably on the MTFCA forum site. There is a fair amount of chit-chat (including from me), a couple partial attempts at translation, and what looks to my limited German like a very good translation.

Anyone interested in the subject of the air-cooled pre-T Ford should check it out. It doesn't always work for me, but try the following link;

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/390897.html?1380241799

For those with some interest, but not wanting to succumb to a greater affliction (model T and earlier Fords) I will attempt to copy and paste the translation of the model H article with many, many, thanks to Stephen Heatherly

"This an my attempt at a translation starting from the Four-cylinder Ford. (Die Vierzylinderige Ford.)

The Ford motor Company has exhibited it's new 14 Horsepower at the Auto Show in Detroit, whose description and two pictures there of are show here.

The engine has four vertical cylinders with cast cooling fins and is located at the from of the car under an enclosed hood. Inlet and outlet valves are attached at the top of the engine and both are necessarily driven. The crank shaft and it's five bearings are located within an aluminum housing. At the upper end of the cylinders is a rectangular flange. On this and the crank case metal plates are attached on both sides where by, the cylinders are surrounded by a housing. This housing is open on the front and back and has an extension to the flywheel at the back, which is mounted with wings (blades) and acts as a fan. A strong current current of air is created by this fan around the cylinders ensuring good cooling. The front and back walls of the cranks case are removable and a removable plate is located at the bottom. The engine is fastened to the frame at 3 points by one projection to the front of the frame and two to the side.

Then under (Wagen mit Luftkühlung) Car with air cooling:

The upper part of the hood is provided with hinges and can be folded back. A wire mesh is located at the front to allow the free flow of air. The engine produces it's maximum power at 950 revolutions per minute. The cylinders have a 3 3/4" bore and 4 1/2 stroke. The ignition is provided by a dynamo and two induction coils, which are housed in a box on the apron. (I guess firewall?) A doubble commutator is attached at the forward end of the crankcase outside of the hood.

The plugs of the two outer and inner cylinders are connected in series so that a spark is produced in each two cylinders at every revolution of the crank shaft. With this arrangement one only needs two induction coils for four cylinders without the need for a commutator with the secondary voltage. (?) The commutator for the primary voltage consists of two parts one of which one half of the voltage is always sent.

The Kingston carburetor is located on the side of the crank case and is provided with a choke cock, through which is opperated by foot pedal. The oiling of the bearings is done by a central lubricator which is powered by gas pressure as with the Ford race car. This lubricator is located between the motor and the firewall.

The Ford planetary transmission has also been employed on the car and allows two speeds. The high speed is direct drive. The forward end of the gear shaft is bound to the flywheel by means of bolts, while the other end rests in a bearing, which is mounted to a cross-frame. The drive of the rear axle is done by shaft and bevel gears. The shaft is coupled to the transmission shaft by a U- Joint and is located in a tube in which the bearings are also located. The gear reduction of the rear axle is 3 to 1.

The frame is manufactured from pressed- steel and rests on elliptical springs on both ends. The rear springs are mounted the frame by shackles on both ends, while the front springs are mounted only on the rear ends by shackles. The rear axle shafts are, as usual, encapsulated and rest on four ball bearings. The wheels are of the artillery type and have a 30" diameter and are provided with 3 1/2" pneumatic tires. The drums for the band brakes are located on the hubs. The front axle consists of a 1 13/16 steel pipe in which the stub axles are inserted. A small lever for the ignition is located under the steering wheel. The drive is operated by a side-mounted lever and a foot pedal. The low gear is selected by pull the hand lever back, while high gear is selected by throwing this lever forward. Reverse is engaged by foot pedal. A second, provided with a locking latch, operates the band brakes.

Stephen "

Again, my many thanks to Stephen!

Also a request from Rob H

"To anyone with command of Deutsch, if you search this site (or any other German related archives), would you please check for any documentation of these two Model K touring s shipped to Germany in 1906?

Thank you,

Rob

"Automobile" July, 1906:

390983.jpg

(I can't figure out how to put the un-quotes in the right place)

Rob has been doing a lot of searching and researching on the pre-T Fords and especially the model K. A number of model Ks were shipped to Europe in 1906-08. It is one of the trails being followed.

So as to not make this TOO long, I won't copy and paste any more. Yet. But the research into the real, and sometimes forgotten, history continues.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

A reminder and observation from me. This article was printed in an Austrian Motor magazine in 1925. The magazine has many lighthearted articles about (1925) present day trips, new in 1925 automobiles (both European and American including Chandler and model T speedsters), many advertisements for European and American products, and quite a few pages on motorcycle racing, etc. This article as well as one about the "First Cyclecar" appeared to simply be historic reprints printed for 1925 entertainment. With my limited ability to read German, I did not see any other explanation. But I very much enjoyed reading (as well as I could) several other articles among the over 50 pages of this particular magazine.

Thank you Casper F for starting this thread.

Edited by wayne sheldon
Typo! I hate it when I do that! (see edit history)