1949 98 Front Rubber Mat

Guest starfire

Guest starfire

Does anyone know of a source for the rubber mat that covers the front floor in a 1949 98? Google has not been able to help me out on this one.

Thanks,

Alan

Guest starfire

I contacted SMS and they have mats for '50 and up which I would think would be the same for a '49, but neither of us is sure. I am going to take a picture of what is left of mine (which is most of it, it's just very brittle) and send it to them so they can make a determination of if the '50 one will fit. I'll let everyone know what is found out.

I dug out my 1962 Body Edition parts book and here's what it says about these mats.

Grp 15.286, MAT, UNIVERSAL FRONT FLOOR, RUBBER.

1940-47 Series 90; 1941-48 60, 70; 1948-49 98 p/n 557983

1949-53 except 49-51 98 p/n 570692

This tells me that a mat for a 40s Olds of any series will work in your car. Have you checked with any of the Chevy or Buick vendors? Seems any Fisher Body should use the same stuff, maybe just a slight pattern difference.

• 4 weeks later...

I replaced the rubber floor mat on my '51 Olds 88-A 2 door with a top quality bound carpet when I had my upholstery redone.

After 3 national Olds meets plus dozens of other shows & trophies, I was never questioned or had any points deducted for this change.

Other than added seat belts my Olds was 100% stock. Also, the carpets are so much nicer IMO.

Edited by myold88 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest starfire
I replaced the rubber floor mat on my '51 Olds 88-A 2 door with a top quality bound carpet when I had my upholstery redone. After 3 national Olds meets plus dozens of other shows & trophies, I was never questioned or had any points deducted for this change. Other than added seat belts my Olds was 100% stock. Also, the carpets are so much nicer IMO.
Did the place that did your interior cut, fit, and bind the carpet?

• 4 weeks later...