1935 Plymouth Deluxe Convertible Coupe *SOLD*

*SOLD*

This is an unusual and wonderful little convertible. I've spoken to several of our friends here on the forum who are more knowledgeable about these cars than I am, and they all confirm what I already suspected: One, these are great-driving cars and two, you probably won't ever see another one of these at any show you attend. It sadly comes from an estate of a long-time friend and hobbyist who was very well known and liked here in Cleveland. He purchased it in the late-1970s in its current condition (except the interior and engine) and used it as his primary tour car for the following three decades. And with that in mind, it's still in great shape, although it is certainly not a show piece. But if you appreciate those older restorations that are well-sorted and done to a standard that makes them reliable, handsome, and safe, then you know what I'm talking about. The Pilot Blue paint is holding up quite well, although there's some cracking and checking around the friction points such as the step leading up to the rumble seat, and overall it's quite presentable so I don't think I'd mess with it. It shines up well and looks great from 6-10 feet, so it's definitely driver-grade but you won't hear any complaints from onlookers. The chrome is a combination of original, older restored bits, and a few fresher items, but nothing jumps out as either too nice or too shabby, and the fog lamps are pretty recent. The tan canvas top is showing its age with a few stains and a bit of stretching and pulling at the snaps, but it's still serviceable as-is--it's a convertible, the top is just for emergencies anyway!

The red leatherette interior was restored recently and looks simply fantastic. The color is flashy and works well with the dark blue paint. The seats show virtually zero wear, the door panels are a little scuffed at the bottom, mostly from where they rub up against the seat, and there's a grained rubber mat on the floor. The rumble seat uses brown leather, which is probably what it had originally, though I don't know whether the material is original or was replaced during the 1970s restoration. Either way, it's still good to go. The instruments are all original and fully functional, and it comes with both a radio (not working) and a clock (ticks away once you wind it up). There's also a heater under the dash that gets plenty warm. A new red top boot was stitched up when the interior was restored.

1935 Plymouths used a 201 cubic inch inline-six, which is one of the most durable engines ever invented. It's also smooth and torquey, and according to the late owner's widow, they cruised all over the country in it, driving it as far as Milwaukee and St. Louis (home base was Cleveland) without issues. She reports that they cruised at 55 MPH everywhere the went and that in more than 30 years of touring, were only stranded once when the fuel pump gave up. Remarkable. The engine bay has been freshened and she believes that the engine was rebuilt within the past 10 years or so, and there's no question that it runs quite well today. The only upgrades are a 6-volt alternator instead of a generator and I'm pretty sure there's an electronic ignition inside the distributor, along with modern plug wires. The transmission has synchros, so it's easy to shift if you take your time, and handling is nimble. And as a Chrysler product, the brakes are really first-rate and make the binders on a comparable V8 Ford, for instance, feel downright ancient. The undercarriage is not detailed, but there are no signs of trouble aside from some patch work on the tail section of the body that was obviously done decades ago, but if it's held up this long, I don't think there's much to worry about. 16-inch BFGoodrich whitewall tires of indeterminate age remain in good shape and are suitable for touring.

Go ahead, try to find another one. Unlike comparable Fords (which are worth twice as much), this is one of perhaps a dozen or so 1935 Plymouth convertible coupes known to exist. With great road manners, impressive reliability, and genuinely handsome good looks, this is a great car for the money. Asking $34,900 and we're always happy to discuss reasonable offers. Thanks for looking!

post-31138-143142161608_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142161611_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142161614_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142161617_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142161619_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142161622_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142161625_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142161628_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142161631_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142161633_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142161636_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142161638_thumb.jpg