48 Roadmaster Convertible (finally fell into my posession)

jackofalltrades70

I've been talking about this convertible since Hershey 2012. I was finally able to purchase it at the right price. I'm not, repeat NOT starting another project. This one will be for sale in the very near future. I think I have most of the big pieces to have a nice builder for someone. I'll post pictures in a bit when I get home.

Hi Matt! Glad for you and congratulations!

Have you already a future owner, or you just bought her for having her for a while and then sell her?

I'm waiting for new posts of your '47.

Tomorrow I´ll go to see a shop of gearboxes. It seems they have all (used) spare parts to sell me. I hope I have good luck.

Glad for you again, Matt.

Nahuel.-

I transferred the title today and picked it up. I have a grill for it, a NOS set of rocker panels and extensions for the doors and behind the doors. I couldn't turn over the motor by hand, but I think it will with a little work. The motor is complete and the radiator is in the trunk. The inner fenders are there and I'm going to try to get the front end put back on the car a.s.a.p. I have another set of rear fenders and another header for the convertible top. The rest of the top looks really good. Still has the wooden bow intact. The chrome on everything needs to be redone, but what can be expected. The gages look really good in the dash.

The floors and the trunk need patches, but with what I've done with my 47, it should'nt be too bad. I've seen worse repaired.

Was a good day! A Buickful day! Matt

Guest eb3bzk

Hi Matt,

Congratulations, looks good in general. Mycar was in worse shape becausethey took many pieces.

I hope it may be worth to you to finish your47.

If you can spare partsremember to their distant peers.<o:p></o:p>

Good luck!!! I hope you can finish yourcar!<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I've been talking about this convertible since Hershey 2012. I was finally able to purchase it at the right price. I'm not, repeat NOT starting another project. This one will be for sale in the very near future. I think I have most of the big pieces to have a nice builder for someone. I'll post pictures in a bit when I get home.
Hey Matt, glad its in good hands and not the crusher! Hopefully, the sale can stay within the "Buick family" and help fund your '47 restoration. Good work :)

Yesterday I did some "Uni-colored Rust preventative measures". Already the car looks better and the elements won't affect it too much. I also have a tarp on the car. I had fun. I love working on my Buicks. Just have to remember that I cannot get attached to this one as I progress along. Today, I work on the 47'. Matt

I know you are aware of this, but it always scares me to see/learn of a tarp covering a car. I'm sure you will watch for the condensation that takes place, when I have used a tarp I do my best to use only if it is going to rain. Air movement is KEY.

Wishing you well, YOU 47 LOVER, and for GOOD reason, cool cars.

Dale in Indy

Thanks Dale. There was a chance of rain and it will rain tomorrow. It is not here at home with me.

Too bad that folks let their cars rust away until their value is almost gone. A little primer could save a lot of these gems from rusting away.

Is that a catylst primer MAtt?

John,

Righ now this is my "Rattle-can Roadmaster". I'm just trying to prevent further damage. Rattle cans are cheap enough to cover the sanded metal. I don't even know if I will ever get to the point of sanding it back off. That might be for the next owner. Time will tell. In my opinion, the car is very much salvageable and I intend to do some rust repair and panel replacement before it finds a new home.

Edited by jackofalltrades70
Spelling (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Looks as if, with the help of a good friend, I have purchased convertible #4. This car is complete as complete can be, but has been sitting in the damp for 50 years or so. All of the missing parts on my 48 are included on this car, except for the rust repair parts that I have on a 47' 2 door donor car I also have. All of the convertible tub parts are either on my 47 super convertible parts car (car#1) or this car (car#4). Confused yet? Matt

Car #1 was the original 47' 56C convertible that started it all

attachment.php?attachmentid=83652&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1340374729

Car #2 is a 47' 76C car that started as this..............

attachment.php?attachmentid=83651&stc=1&d=1301361212

And is now.................

attachment.php?attachmentid=213859&d=1379037310&thumb=1

Car #3 is the 48' 76C I just bought a month ago.............

attachment.php?attachmentid=210686&d=1377439775&thumb=1

And Car #4 is a car that was just found for me and will serve as parts for the 48' 76C to be complete.

Probably is no less confusing! But, nonetheless, I have 4 convertibles. Matt

Thanks Anderson! Glad I could help out! Sadly though, I won't keep but one of the cars when all is said and done. Someone else will have to do the 48 RM and the other two have served their purposes for parts for the Roadmasters.

Matt, I know you're just trying to corner the market on 47-48 Buick convertibles...

I really admire your effort and dedication, and am a bit jealous. I will not be able to say what you will be able to say when people ask, "did you do all the restoration yourself?" I salute you, sir!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Time to get this girl in storage for the year...............contemplating working with a welding shop and see if they want a "fill in" job for the winter..........

Looks as if going to get the 47' Super convertible will be at least early 2014. I will need to pull the head on the motor as it is stuck and I managed to break off a spark plug. Last one of course. I already have a new head gasket coming. Gosh.....can't get enough of these things and not enough time in the day. Matt

• 5 months later...

Well, time has flown and the Buicks are coming out of storage. Going to pick up car#4 this Thursday and then I will have all of the parts for the 48'. Almost thought I lost this car. Trying to finish up some work on the '47 convertible that I'm restoring before I jump in with both feet on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trip half way over. Car was destroyed from moving it around and didn't feel safe trying to transport it. Took some essential pieces off and let the rest go. Here is a picture of how bad it was. Still was a great day spent with my great friend John De Fiore. Thanks for the help today. Get your radio tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk