Model 20 Manifold Gaskets

MochetVelo

• 4 months later...

G,day to all.

Edgar says he uses cork in his cam box gasket. Cork is compressable and each time you retighten the cap screws it will go up a bit . Remember that you are trying to maintain a backlash in the timing gears of 3 to 5 thou at the tightest point measured in 3 places .You want a gasket that holds first time thickness. We use Aluminium sheet and a paper gasket for final adjustment. Stick one side by all means but if you grease the other side it will come off if the need arises when far from home . Happy Hupping Max BURKE Nulkaba 2325 Australia.

G,day Phil.

Bolt up the cam box with the shims/gasket but with no magneto. On the exposed teeth of the cam gear sticking out above the magneto platform is where you will need to measure the backlash. With your dial gauge mounted on your magnetic stand sitting on the mag platform and the pushrod of the gauge on the cam gear teeth produce the backlash by hand, you may use a screwdriver if the camshaft is binding and read the result on the dial. Take a reading in three places and go by the tightest reading.The early fibre gear with brass side plates is sure to have a large variation in the readings. Look for loose rivets on this type On the one piece phosphor bronze type look for a gear loose on the camshaft with a worn key. The engine will certainly run with all these faults and has done for years but it will eventually stop. Its nice to Know when that will be.

Without the dialgauge you may make up a pointer of 1/2 x 1/8th flat and bolt it on a mag mount hole. Then you could use your feeler gauge between pointer and gear tooth

A loose main bearing affects this reading also. Good luck Max BURKE Nulkaba 2325 Australia

• 6 months later...

Here is how I'll try fitting the manifolds. I found some copper pipe with just the right O.D. (1-3/8") to fit in the engine and manifold. I cut off some 5/16" deep rings, then added some 1-3/8" I.D. copper crush-washers (#GAS024 from Restoration Supply). The hole on the right of photo has the crush ring installed.

post-52500-143142616926_thumb.jpg

Here are the steel gaskets that I found under my exhaust manifold. I'm substituting the type described above in hopes they seal a better.

post-52500-14314261693_thumb.jpg

Phil

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)