Nickel Tours

Guest studepeople

Guest studepeople

I have not been on an VMCCA Nickel tour before and was wondering when the last one was put on and by who. My wife and I are kicking around the idea of putting one on. It would be great to get the insight and avoid the pitfalls from other tour chairpersons. I understand that less challenging tour routes(Flatter) and less miles with alot of interesting stops would be welcomed on such a tour. Five days put on during the week ? We are all ears..........dan & gracie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bill Miller

My wife and I were on one of the VMCCA Central Nickel Age Region tours in 2010 based in Fremont, IN near the borders of both Ohio and Michigan, Amish and Mennonite country. It was a hub tour which we prefer. Had a great time and the tour was very well planned and organized. I suggest you might want to talk to the folks who ran that tour and I'll locate the tour information packet which I saved and send the contact info to you. There was a wide variety of cars in attendance ('12 through '27) including a lot of Model T's, a couple of Essex examples, as well as Overland, Cadillac, Buick, Rolls-Royce, Dodge Brothers and several other makes. Level terrain made for easy driving and the sites were interesting and the accommodations were simple and affordable. I don't know where in MO Sparta is located but if you're near the eastern part of the state there is a lot of gorgeous country with interesting sites around both sides of the Mississippi including IL, TN and KY and of course the wine country area west of St. Louis is great for old cars as well. You might also want to contact Nevy and Kerstin Campbell in Savannah who did a Model T tour a few years ago along the Charleston-to-Brunswick coast to get their input. Also John Manifor near Los Angeles who heads up the Nickel Era Touring Register (NETR) of the HCCA which does at least one Nickel tour each year, mostly on the west coast but they did one in the Amana communities a couple of years ago.

Edited by Bill Miller (see edit history)

Guest studepeople

:Bill Thankyou for your persective and information. We are in the southern central area of Mo. near Branson. An interesting area to visit but not as an "OLD" car tour (not flat ). Have been looking at central Mo. along the Missouri river. We have a local tour with the KC group to eastern Kansas . More areas to look at........Dan Dinsmore

Guest Bill Miller

Dan, I found the info packet from the 2010 VMCCA Central Nickel Age tour in IN-OH-MI. The tour directors were Rich and Jan Caloia, 481 Streamview Ct., Rochester Hills, MI 48309 phone 248-651-7843 email janrich@sprintmail.com . They put on a great tour and I'm sure they would be able to provide you with valuable guidance.