roof installation questions

Guest sawyer

Guest sawyer

I am building a "one of a kind" 34 buick woodie and need advice on the roof installation. Is there somewhere to buy roof material wider than 54 inches? I need about 60 inches. Also what options do we have on fastening the edges down and where to buy it?

I have installed soft roofs on two 1930`s cars that I built in the past, but a woodie is a bit different.

Thanks in advance

Ken

post-88268-143142150025_thumb.jpg

I was able to purchase material from macs? or perhaps it was lebarron Bonney.. you'll need to call them and speak to someone about exactly what you need.

additionally.. you'll need a hot day, and a helper who doesn't realize how ridiculous this process is.. (my 14 year old neighbor danny was the best)

The material used on George's old Plymouth was a bit more difficult to work with.. and somewhat "thicker" than the material I used on the oldsmobile.

post-88268-143142150023_thumb.jpg

post-88268-14314215002_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Dear Ken,

Lebaron Bonney has both a long grain and short grain top material for station wagons in the width you are looking for.

I have rain gutters for Ford station wagons that will work on your project. If it helps I can send you a sample.

Good luck,

Mike Byrne

708 308 4009

Talk to Wendy at Lebaron, she's the best. A lot of guys use what's called "hidem welt" for the edges but you will get a much nicer and factory look by using the rain gutters that Mike sells.