Warner OD Automatic?

rockitdoc

False. When the OD handle is pushed "in" this allows the OD to engage but it's not "automatic". After the car reaches about 25 MPH you must release the throttle to remove engine torque from the unit which allows the solenoid to engage the OD. To kick it down out of OD you push the accelerator pedal to the floor which activates a kick down switch. This momentarily "kills" the engine, removing torque from the unit, and de-energizing the solenoid.

False. When the OD handle is pushed "in" this allows the OD to engage but it's not "automatic". After the car reaches about 25 MPH you must release the throttle to remove engine torque from the unit which allows the solenoid to engage the OD. To kick it down out of OD you push the accelerator pedal to the floor which activates a kick down switch. This momentarily "kills" the engine, removing torque from the unit, and de-energizing the solenoid.
"OD handle"? I must be missing this apparatus. Where is this, and how is it connected to the rest of the car?

The over drive is a knob on the lower left side of the dash next to the hood knob. when pulled out overdrive is off, when pushed in over drive is on if all of the switches are in good working order. I leave my 41 custom limo overdrive on all the time except on mountain roads.

The over drive is a knob on the lower left side of the dash next to the hood knob. when pulled out overdrive is off, when pushed in over drive is on if all of the switches are in good working order. I leave my 41 custom limo overdrive on all the time except on mountain roads.

My car is missing this knob. I must also be missing the entire apparatus that connects the 'knob' to the OD. Is this a mechanical connection, or an electrical one? If anyone has said bits, please contact me. Scott 720-289-2153

Scott, contact Merv Adkins or Boos-Herrel, both are listed in the "sources" section of this site. They may be able to help with the control parts.Your overdrive is fully electric and the only "mechanical" item will be the lock out control cable. Electrical components consist of a wiring harness, relay, kickdown switch, solenoid and governor. You should take a look under the car and see what you are missing, if anything. The relay is mounted on the fire wall, the kick down switch under the accelerator pedal. The solenoid is mounted between the transmission and the overdive unit, it's large and mounts at an angle. The governor is mounted near the rear of the OD unit, It's about 3" diameter.

• 1 year later...