Kit to make rear fender lights brake lights

rockitdoc

If the kit works, get it! I did mine the hard way. Got a 56 Ford turn signal switch (be careful, some sources will sell you a 58 switch which won't fit). I still had to pull the ends off the switch wires to fit in conduit, and grind edge of switch to make fit. Then I had to run a wire from the brake light switch, add a relay and a couple of diodes. I used a Radio shack moly connector for easy removal.

Abe

65:

Below is steering column picture which is out of car pending engine rebuild and Saginaw steering gear. You can't see much of the switch as it mounts under the turn signal lever. I had to find new springs to kinda match the old for the lever, so I'm not anxious to remove for picture. I had to shoehorn a bit to get the switch to mount under the lever, used an air grinder. If the switch sticks up too far, it interferes with the turn lever. Note I also need to add a bushing to fill the hole where the turn switch actuator pokes through the turn lever.

I had it hooked up in the car before car dis-assembly, and seemed to work OK. I then added a new fuse, a second flasher, a 4-way flasher switch under the dash, four diodes to actuate the turn lights, and a relay to take out the stop switch wires to the side lights when 4-way is on. Kinda confusing.

Abe

post-43470-14314215336_thumb.jpg

If the kit works, get it! I did mine the hard way. Got a 56 Ford turn signal switch (be careful, some sources will sell you a 58 switch which won't fit). I still had to pull the ends off the switch wires to fit in conduit, and grind edge of switch to make fit. Then I had to run a wire from the brake light switch, add a relay and a couple of diodes. I used a Radio shack moly connector for easy removal.

Abe

I called Ed at Narranganset. The kit is a relay and some wiring to make the fender running lights stop lights. It also comes with a switch to return the circuit to stock for shows (if that matters to you). A bit spendy at $280 USD, but probably worth saving the time and aggravation. I get my aggravation from slamming my thumb in doors, so I don't need any other methods. My time, I plan to spend on trying to get my Warner 2 speed to work properly.:P

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lzoc mag had a schematic for this conversion back in the late 90s, I did the conversion and have all 3 back lights as brake lights, lusters are turn running and brake, center is running and brake, switched to 30-50 halogen bulbs and they are nice and bright, whole setup hides under the frame so you can't tell anything was ever changed.

Guest 39 Pickup

I mounted two truck clearance lights under the bumper on my Zephyr and Continental. They bolt to the supports for the gravel guard between the body and the bumper. I spliced them into the brake light wire. total cost was less than $10.00. They light up the rear and I feel safer in the event that I burn out the single stock bulb.