New Wheels for old Speedster

gastruk

Did a quick Google search for the wheels you are considering and came up with this. Nice wheel, but I think it's a more modern look than most of the posters here are interested in. A lot of people here are trying to assemble speedsters with vintage parts, it's just a question of what you personally consider to be vintage. If you're getting into a more hotrod look, you may have better luck enquiring on the HAMB.

post-47067-14314215127_thumb.jpg

post-47067-143142158131_thumb.jpgIf you look around on the web, some places define vintage speedsters as being pre-1928, the title for this discussion suggest "pre-war" which I assume means prior to 1942, but if you read the other threads there has been a considerable amount of latitude given to this group of discussions ( some people want modern steering, or brakes to make them safer, others are looking at newer 6 cylinders for dependability) which I personally agree with. Speedsters really were the original race cars, and the original hotrods long before the term was coined. In the end, it's your car and I think you should do what you want to it to make it the way you enjoy it personally.

Hmmm... or perhaps the original administrators for the forum were hoping we'd focus on parts built before the First World War.... lol... so confusing when we've never really been without a war! Regardless, I'm all for having fun with old cars, restored or otherwise... at least we're keeping them from being turned into Coke tins.

Take a look at these on "The Old Motor"

pierce arrow cast wheels | Search Results | The Old Motor

Though I bet they are fantastically rare. I know I've never seen any. But, if you had a big enough lathe and access to a foundry it would be possible to make some.

There is an American LaFrance speedster around RI that has cast aluminum wheels. Back in the 70s I met the man who built it. He made a pattern of 3 spokes and the felloe band and cast 4 pieces for each wheel (I'm not certain I got those numbers right...I didn't count the spokes). He then machined the interfaces at the hub and assembled them into the strongest "wooden" wheels I've ever seen. I have a picture of it somewhere.