Is this a 1916 Maxwell key?

Guest Granny K

Guest Granny K

Hello!

I posted this query to one of the many threads re: the Maxwell, and got a nice response that my key is similar to a Model T Ford key, but that one is completely flat. At least I now know it IS a car key. :) Out of a huge number of very old family keepsakes I recently inherited, an ancestor's list of items included "Key to Maxwell Automobile 1916 - Horace Foster". (This ancestor often listed where he got the item - or, in this case perhaps, who owned the auto). This is the only key that I can't identify, so far. You'll note that the solid protrusion is tubular in shape.

I would like assurance, if possible, that this is indeed the 1916 Maxwell auto key that is on his list.

Thanks very much.

Granny K

Montanapost-95833-143142144774_thumb.jpg

Guest Granny K
I don't think you have it identified, as it is definitely not the key to a Maxwell from 1916 or 1917. Thanks!

Perhaps I posted incorrectly - the reply here was supposed to be in reply of the post by Layden B. that informed me the key is a "Model T Ford 1914-1919 all cars and trucks, continued thru 1922 on cars and trucks without starter and generator." You are right - it's not the Maxwell key on my gt-uncle's list. I found a Model-T Ford key on another website, and it is identical to mine. I just never knew that any car key looked like that. :)

I guess I'll have to find out what a 1918 Maxwell key looks like, too, just in case I run across it in the boxes of keepsakes I've received!

Thanks for the input.

Granny K

Guest Granny K
Give me a few weeks and I will show you exactly what a 1917 Maxwell key looks like. My Maxwell is 35 miles from where I live and taking digital photographs doesn't go all that well for me sometimes.

That will be great! And, I know what you mean about the digital photographs - it's still hit and miss with me, too. Thanks, much.

• 10 months later...
Guest Frank S

Were all 16 17 keys the same for dash that looks like picture hdennis #11 reply?

I need to find one or have one made. Demensions would be helpful.

post-33891-143142620164_thumb.jpg

Were all 16 17 keys the same for dash that looks like picture hdennis #11 reply?

I need to find one or have one made. Demensions would be helpful.

Frank, of the 10-15 Maxwell dashes I've worked on all have been keyed the same. Good News, there is a lot of three keys on eBay right now!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-OLD-VINTAGE-CLUM-AUTO-KEYS-BIN-/171386789270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e772dd96

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

Guest Frank S

Thanks, actually looking for one similar to your post #11 Aug.18, 2013, square hole that round shaft fits into.

My dimmer switch knob is broken off and need to replace with compatible switch along with the 2 shunt resistors.

Frank S

Thanks, actually looking for one similar to your post #11 Aug.18, 2013, square hole that round shaft fits into.

My dimmer switch knob is broken off and need to replace with compatible switch along with the 2 shunt resistors.

Frank S

Sorry Frank that was the only example I've ever seen and I sold the dash a few years ago on eBay. I was able to find a few pictures that might help you.

post-33891-143142621646_thumb.jpgHoward Dennis

post-33891-143142621586_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143142621602_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143142621616_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143142621631_thumb.jpg