1909 Rambler magneto?

Guest Betsy the Hippie

Guest Betsy the Hippie

My father passed along a still-working magneto that he told me was from his father's 1909 Rambler. I know nothing about cars or antique cars, but would love to identify this piece of art. It is beautiful, with several brass parts. On one side, it is stamped "Type D4 Pat.17 10. 05.; 24. 10. 05, 6. 10. 08 Pats. Pending," as well as a lone number, 556796. On the other side it is stamped "Bosch B.M.C.a.." Finally, one of the brass parts on the front of the magneto has been stamped with a tiny icon/mark of some sort. It is sort of oval shape (more like a tube shape), with a word above it that I cannot read. It starts with the letters "Sc........." The mark has various tiny symbols inside it and tiny lines emanating from it. The magneto is about 7 or 8 inches tall and about 4 in wide.

Can anyone tell me if there really was a 1909 Rambler? Does anyone know which antique car(s) might have used this magneto?

I would be interested in selling it, too, but I must find out about it first!

There certainly was a 1909 Rambler. They started making cars in 1902 and with the 1914 model year changed the name to Jeffery. Do a google search of "1909 Rambler" for pictures.

A Bosch model D-4 magneto would have been used on many early cars. Your serial #556796 is of midyear 1910 manufacture that could have been fitted to the Rambler as replacement for the original mag.