Shocks for My 1965 Riviera (401)

Foxlovescars

I researched the forum and could find very little current information. I do not want to lower my car, Has anyone replaced their front AND rear shocks lately and had good results with the brand/type they used? I do not want to lower my car, just replace the age-old shocks that came with the car when I bought it. I have read here on the forum that gas shocks are a must. Your thoughts and stories please. (Also, as a side note, can someone please tell me which Icon in the message screen I hit so that my "enter" key works again when I am typing a message? I haven't been able to skip lines for a while now.) Thanks, and thanks, Frank

Monroe makes a Sensa-Trac just for our cars. I got f & r pairs not too long ago from Rock Auto for my '63 (which is still on the back burner.) Very reasonable couldn't - pass up the price and availability.

Monroe part #'s 5759 and 5760. Currently Rock Auto shows them for $16 plus change each. That's less than $50 for all four. I've got them on my '64 and really like them for OE replacements.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest onedesertdog
I researched the forum and could find very little current information. I do not want to lower my car, Has anyone replaced their front AND rear shocks lately and had good results with the brand/type they used? I do not want to lower my car, just replace the age-old shocks that came with the car when I bought it. I have read here on the forum that gas shocks are a must. Your thoughts and stories please. (Also, as a side note, can someone please tell me which Icon in the message screen I hit so that my "enter" key works again when I am typing a message? I haven't been able to skip lines for a while now.) Thanks, and thanks, Frank

I don't like to give out wrong info, and I could be wrong, but I believe you click on Settings. Scroll down to General Settings, then down to Message Editor and click on STANDARD Editor.

Hope it works, and if not, someone for sure will chime in with the correct way to do it....

Buddy:

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question about why the "enter" key on my computer keyboard would not work while I was trying to key in text for threads or to make a reply. The "enter" key only became active when I switched to "Basic Editor".

Thank you very much for the tip!

Frank

I copied and pasted this from the Monroe website. If your car doesn't fit into the categories listed below, I don't think you need a gas shock. Unless you're going to try to set some new ET for driving down Mulholland Drive.

The development of gas charged shock absorbers was a major advance in ride control technology. This advance solved many ride control problems which occurred due to an increasing number of vehicles using uni-body construction, shorter wheelbases and increased use of higher tire pressures. An additional benefit of gas charging is that it creates a mild boost in spring rate to the vehicle. This does not mean that a gas charged shock would raise the vehicle up to correct ride height if the springs were sagging. It does help reduce body roll, sway, brake dive, and acceleration squat.

I have run and installed KYB, Monroe, Bilstein and QA1 on 64 & 65 Rivi's and the QA1's are by far the best. Also by far the most expensive...and require light modification of the front lower control arm and I had to make custom tie-bars for them to physically mount properly. Little bit of work, but so worth it. The Bilstein's are the best you can get for a stock replacement, and yes, they are worth the $100 each vs. $16 for a whatever China shock. It really depends on how much and how you drive your car. If it is a garage queen, the $16 shocks are fine. If you actually take your car out and use it, then the Bilsteins are the way to go. I put a set on a customer's 65 Rivi which he drives to work everyday. That, rear solid Panhard bar bushings and the Addco giantor front sway bar make these cars work 1000% percent better. The factory suspension design is great, just needed some minor upgrading.

That, rear solid Panhard bar bushings and the Addco giantor front sway bar make these cars work 1000% percent better. The factory suspension design is great, just needed some minor upgrading.

DQD,

Can you supply some additional info on the sway bar you mention here?

That, rear solid Panhard bar bushings and the Addco giantor front sway bar make these cars work 1000% percent better. The factory suspension design is great, just needed some minor upgrading.

DQD,

Can you supply some additional info on the sway bar you mention here?

• 11 months later...
Guest dirtylegs396

Can anyone tell me how to get the top rear shock bolts to stop turning so I can replace the shocks on a 1967 Riviera? I can get a wrench on 1 of them but not the other. HELP ME !!! PLEASE !

Edited by dirtylegs396 (see edit history)

Guest dirtylegs396

Well,I figured it out. Had to take the wheel off and go arm pit deep but I did get it. Thanks anyways. :)

I have run and installed KYB, Monroe, Bilstein and QA1 on 64 & 65 Rivi's and the QA1's are by far the best. Also by far the most expensive...and require light modification of the front lower control arm and I had to make custom tie-bars for them to physically mount properly. Little bit of work, but so worth it.

Dave, would be interested in more info on the modifications you made to run the QA1 shocks and part numbers. I was looking for an adjustable shock for my '65 and the QA1'a might be what I want. I already have the Addco front bar and a Mako rear bar (http://www.mako.com.au). Springs are slightly stiffer then stock and 1" lower

Thanks

I'm very happy with the Bilstein shocks sold by member George Hussey in the Riview. No mods required and suit standard height or GS height Riv. The Sensa-tracs were way to floaty at highway speed for my liking. Contact George through his site www.autoatlanta.com

I also have a heavier front sway bar and a mako rear sway bar kit which we had designed amnd made. Minimal body roll.