WHAT is this??

Guest Jack Stacey

Guest Jack Stacey

I found this image of an E-400 other day, and have no clue whatsoever as to what the covering on it is. I've never seen anything like it before:post-88782-143142138851_thumb.jpg

I found this image of an E-400 other day, and have no clue whatsoever as to what the covering on it is. I've never seen anything like it before:[ATTACH=CONFIG]208344[/ATTACH]

Looks like an engine cover, similar to what is used these days.

Taurus%20SHO%20Engine%20Cover.jpg

I've never seen one on an Edsel. Is it possibly a prototype?

Where did you find it?

Guest Jack Stacey

I actually found it on eBay. It's an old picture. Other than that there was no description. I've done a little research, and my best guess now is something called a Vac-U-Start, which would automatically start your engine if it stalled. I guess you'd put your Edsel in to park or neutral. Unfortunately, it didn't really work, and never went into production. But supposedly, a few '57 Lincolns were built with them. But I'm still not sure that's what it is, because I've never seen any pictures of a Vac-U-Start.

I couldn't find much of anything about the Vac-U-Start feature except it was mentioned in a few Edsel blogs. It would start the car when you didn't want it to. It was planned for Edsels but never made it to production. There also was the same mention that a few '57 Lincolns may have been built with it.

Guest Jack Stacey

I emailed the administrator over at http://www.edsel.com, and he said it was a proposed engine manifold cover. The tube was an air intake. The Vac-U-Start used smaller-diameter metal tubes that could withstand vacuum pressure without collapsing. It is similar to the plastic covers we have on today's engines.