My 1937 MD21 tanker project

Guest racingsnake

Guest racingsnake

Greetings from UK. Here's my 1937 1 Ton MD21 truck restoration / rescue project. It was pretty cool to find this over here, it was imported a couple of years ago to be used as a static film prop in the Movie "Captain America". See certificate below that came with it, LOL. The motor is seized, but I got the build card from Chrysler Historical which confirms its the original, so I will rebuild it. It has not been ran in years. I know it was a tanker in Denver Colorado most of its life, by a family owned business "Stewart Bros" I found old operators licence behind the seat! I would love to find a photo of it with the original tanker back, the movie company removed it because it was rusted out and made a show wooden tanker back (which I've removed because its not original and rotting) the rear fenders are also long gone. It did retain its large original 6 volt pump on the back. The movie company only have the truck as a number on file, but I was wondering is it possible say in Denver library that a picture could be found in old newspapers or city records of the business and maybe the truck? It was red but was sprayed over in a bright red for the movie. Before the movie company, previous owner was Craig Feigum (from CO) and now in MN, I hope he wont mind me putting his name up here, but I have been trying to contact him as I'd love to know more about the trucks history and see a photo of it pre-movie, its survived the years remarkably well! Can anyone here tell me what the body code tag "TK" means? Could that be tanker, or was it a stakebed when first supplied? The Sprinter really struggled hauling this older brother home!

1post_zpsf44dffbe.jpg

1937dodge_zpsff884d3d.jpg

2post_zps1e529207.jpg

3post_zps8ea6d520.jpg

4post_zps4675cea8.jpg

• 6 months later...
Guest BRN2CRZ1

Greetings....I am excited to have found my old truck. I do have some pix I can share with you as well as some history on it. I can be reached at brn2crz1@aol.com. I look forward to hearing from you. (Be very, very careful with those split rims. Deadly.)

Craig

That's a really neat truck but it doesn't appear to me that the tank is a real fuel tank. It lacks any fill ports and is mounted on what appears to be a wooden platform. They way the tank is mounted doesn't look strong enough as I doubt that 2 thin straps could secure a tank of that size unless that's just an outer shell with a tank inside. Also the truck chassis only appears to be a 3/4 or 1 ton which I doubt would be heavy enough to carry the weight of a tank that size. You'll notice that the chassis is sitting level with an the empty tank; that leads me to believe that it originally had a much smaller tank or it was another type of truck converted over. Still it's a neat old truck and I'm glad you're going to save it! Have fun!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

Greetings....I am excited to have found my old truck. I do have some pix I can share with you as well as some history on it. I can be reached at brn2crz1@aol.com. I look forward to hearing from you. (Be very, very careful with those split rims. Deadly.)

Craig

Use a tire cage when fooling around with split rims. Had one blow apart and it bowed the cage. Lets see pictures of your truck. This tanker was made from wood for the movie. COOL!.

jpage....You must have not seen this part of his post...

"I would love to find a photo of it with the original tanker back, the movie company removed it because it was rusted out and made a show wooden tanker back (which I've removed because its not original and rotting) the rear fenders are also long gone."