VERY RARE CHRYSLER - PLYMOUTH EXHAUST MANIFOLD

Good afternoon

I own the 1.936 Chrysler convertible of the picture. The car body was coachbuilt by the Carlton Carriage Company Ltd in London. The body is finished in aluminium. The original engine of my car from the factory is a P2 Code, matching a Plymouth P2 model number. On the 30´s Chrysler group used to rebadge the Plymouth as Chrysler for the British market. The chassis number is like a Plymouth P2 with the adittion of another serial number after the P2 serial number, probably because it was sold from the factory to the body coachbuilder as a rolling chassis, not as a complete car.

Sadly the exhaust manifold of my car was broken and welded in the middle. So I need a new one, or an used one in serviciable condition.

The original manifold of my car is located at the bottom in the picture. And the casting number is (650806-1) detailed in another picture.

The manifold exit (to exhaust pipe), is not located in the left corner as the standart Plymouth P2 exhaust manifold ( The Plymouth P2 Exhaust Manifold is the one situated in the top of the picture) See the diference between them. The original one of my car has the exit more centralized than the other one, that is situated far left.

I realice the diference between the exit position of both exhaust manifolds, when I bought on ebay a second hand Plymouth P2 Exhaust manifold, and once received I put them face to face seen the diferences.

I have been looking on the Plymouth master spare parts catalogue, and can´t find my exhaust manifold, the only references for the Plymouth P2 Exhaust and Inlet manifold ( they come as a set ) are the following references:

Regular.- 651276

Economy.- 852277

The one I bought on ebay is the reference 651276. I can´t find any manifold set with the economy reference 852277 to be compared with my exhaust manifold. Neither I can find any manifold with the casting number (650806-1) stamped in mine.

I think that my exhaust manifold was designed for a RHD car, because on RHD cars the brake master cylinder is located very close to the engine right side, were normally the exhaust pipe is located on LHD cars, so probably the factory designed a diferent exhaust manifold for RHD cars, moving the manifold to pipe connection a little bit to the right giving some clearance to the brake master cylinder, probably to avoid overheating from the exhaust pipe to the brake master cylinder. ( It´s just my impression of the reason, but not sure)

The exit in the bottom manifold ( the original of my car) seems to be bigger than the top one in the picture, but it is not, It´s just a picture effect. Both has the same hole sizes and match the exaust pipe bolts sizes for a 36 model.

Also I think that the number in the picture it´s just a casting number, not the MOPAR number.

I would really apreciate any help regarding my manifold, for identify it, and for discover the correct MOPAR number, and if any body familiarized with this type of engines, can let me know if perhaps any other model car from the Chrysler group used the same manifold as mine. Just as first step for me began to look for it, and perhaps any body knows were I can find a new one, or a serviciable used one, like mine.

I´m desperate looking for it and can´t find any manifold like mine, all of them has the exit in the left corner.

Thank you very much in advance for any reply, all comentaries are welcome, for sure they helps to me.

Kind regards from Canary Islands (Spain)

Mario

post-94689-143142123601_thumb.jpg

post-94689-143142123591_thumb.jpg

post-94689-143142123603_thumb.jpg

Are you certain the motor number is "P2" and not "P26"?

Thank you very much for your reply. My engine is a P2 not a P26. but the exhaust manifold look like mine, so perhaphs I can use the manifold from a P26. Do you know if the P26 exhaust manifold match the cylinder head and inlet manifold of a P2 ???

Thank you very much for your help

Kind regards

Mario

post-94689-143142125472_thumb.jpg

I think i have one of these manifolds. I'll take a look tomorrow.

Hello Dave, if you have one exhaust like mine, and you want to sale it, I will be happy of buying it from you.

If you don´t want to sale it, I would apreciate if you can let me know from wich model is coming from.

Thank you very much for your reply

Kind regards

Mario

mariodominguez@legistas.com

They made a change in manifolds in the late 30s, not sure exactly when. The newer model has the exhaust outlet farther forward. This became the standard exhaust pipe location for the rest of the time they were made, up until 1959.

Thank you for the reply.

Do you know if they are interchangeable, and if the old inlet manifold match the new style of exhaust manifold with the outlet forward.

Kind regards

Mario

looks like they moved them forward in 36. We have a 35 and 36, 35 is to the rear and 36 forward. [ATTACH=CONFIG]206933[/ATTACH]Sent you a pm.[ATTACH=CONFIG]206934[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]206935[/ATTACH]

It seems very close to mine, but the inlet manifold is diferent. See the picture of my engine before rebuilding when it was instaled in the car, also you can see in the same picture how close is the exaust pipe to the brake master cylinder that is in the left bottom of the picture, been a RHD car.

Do you think that your P23 exhaust manifold will match my P2 inlet manifold and mi P2 engine block ?? See a picture of my engine block during the rebuilding process.

Thank you very much for your reply

Kind regards

Mario

post-94689-143142127057_thumb.jpg

post-94689-143142127032_thumb.jpg