Help with another car ID? Again, I know the woman!

Guest Plymouth1952

Guest Plymouth1952

I think I am going back a decade with this photo. I am also guessing that this one is really easy for the antique car community.

attachment.php?attachmentid=206363&d=1375369639&thumb=1&stc=1

post-95478-143142120497_thumb.jpg

That's a very odd looking car. The rear wheels are right under the rear passengers, which would be fine for a sedan but very strange looking on a coupe. The driveshaft couldn't be much more than two feet long. Could it be a car that someone shortened? It doesn't look butchered so, if so, someone did a good job

Edited by 58Mustang (see edit history)

Guest Plymouth1952

Keiser31: I was thinking something significantly more mundane than a Pierce. It was probably my grandfather's car; he was a very practical man. Because very early on he was selling Model T's out of his home, I would have expected he would be driving a Ford. Given the year, I just didn't think this looked like a Ford Model A.

58Mustang: I am glad to hear you say it is odd looking. That was my sense also, but I did assume it was a coupe. I was intrigued by the trunk line angling strongly downward. Also the wheels seem to be without any styling.

Edited by Plymouth1952 (see edit history)

Guest prs519

I am thinking a guy in Argentina or Chile treated us to a picture (on this site) of a Chrysler that had a very rare, similar, body style?? Anyone recall?

Guest Plymouth1952

You guys are good! You didn't ID the car but you gave me enough hints to go looking somewhere unusual. Funny, it was the Chile/Argentina comment that made me think "local" quirky manufacturer. Since I believe the photo was taken in Lawrence County, PA ... what was quirkier than Bantam (think Jeep!) in Butler, PA - less than 30 miles from my Grandfather's home! I googled it ... the picture looks good .... American Bantam.

You guys are good! You didn't ID the car but you gave me enough hints to go looking somewhere unusual. Funny, it was the Chile/Argentina comment that made me think "local" quirky manufacturer. Since I believe the photo was taken in Lawrence County, PA ... what was quirkier than Bantam (think Jeep!) in Butler, PA - less than 30 miles from my Grandfather's home! I googled it ... the picture looks good .... American Bantam.

The door handle location is incorrect for American Bantam or American Austin. The vertical hood louvers are most like a very late (1933) American Austin Bantam, but again the belt moulding and door handle location is incorrect. However the body proportions are perfect for that car.

It also doesn't match up with a British Austin 7 either.

Perhaps it is a custom bodied Bantam, or a version imported from one of the many other countries licensed to product the design under other names. Otherwise my best guess is that it's a European car of some sort.

1933 American Austin Bantam

post-30638-143142122107_thumb.jpg

I don't believe the car is a 1930-1934 American Austin, wrong tire size and wheels. They did not have a trunk. It may be a Bantam, but then again no trunk and tires and wheels are wrong. The car is too big in proportion to the lady.

I am thinking a guy in Argentina or Chile treated us to a picture (on this site) of a Chrysler that had a very rare, similar, body style?? Anyone recall?

Are you talking about this 1930 Chrysler?? I am sticking with my 1933 Studebaker i.d.....I posted the black and white photo on the "Studebaker" forum to see what they say.

post-37352-143142122117_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142122121_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I'll go with the 33 Studebaker. What kind of headlights are those in the museum example?

Those headlamps have a sealed beam conversion in them. They are supposed to be oval.

If it is a Studebaker there is a connection to Pierce Arrow, i.e. styled similarly. Wasn't the particular Studebaker body style this car may be named the St. Regis Brougham?

Yes.....St. Regis Brougham.

I dunno. Here are 2 pix of Stude St Regis Broughams. Note the distance between the leading edge of the fender and the door opening. The Studes have a fair amount, maybe 18 inches. The mystery car has, almost, zero.[ATTACH=CONFIG]206517[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]206518[/ATTACH]

I am chalking that up to the angle of the photo in question. Your second photo only shows about 3" difference in the planes referenced. Man, I am a stubborn one.

All three pix are dead on side shots. There are no angles or parallax issues that would cause any optical illusions. The fender on the first car almost touches the door opening and the rear axle is much farther forward than the two Studes. If you look closely, there appears to be a dog leg in the trailing door edge opening. Everything else suggests that it is a St. Regis, but there's just something fishy about the car in question. It looks stubby, to me.

I'm stubborn, too, though I will never argue MoPar with you ;-)

Guest Plymouth1952

If the wheels are a significant indicator, they support the Studebaker ID. The wheels in my photo have 14 spokes and a large hub, as do the wheels in a number of 1932 Studebaker photos on Google images. I have been trying to repost the photo because there may be more info in the little bit that was cropped, but the program is refusing to upload the file. I will try again later.

If the wheels are a significant indicator, they support the Studebaker ID. The wheels in my photo have 14 spokes and a large hub, as do the wheels in a number of 1932 Studebaker photos on Google images. I have been trying to repost the photo because there may be more info in the little bit that was cropped, but the program is refusing to upload the file. I will try again later.

Limiting your photo pixel sizes to 2000 pixels or less in BOTH directions will help the photo load. The car certainly is shorter than the other cars in the other photos, but I still think it at least started out as a '33 St. Regis. Was there a six cylinder car like the St. Regis (not Rockne) that was a bit shorter?

Plymouth1952.....THANKS for the challenge! We love them. John

Thanks to "nzcarnerd" & "studeq" & others ....FOUND IT!!

"The car in the b-w photo you provide can further be identified as either a model 56 Six or a Commander Eight (model 73). These two models were identical except for the drive train. Note how the lower portion of the door is notched to clear the rear fender. This was a characteristic of these two models only. On the longer President model 82 the door opening comes straight down flush with the front of the rear fender, it is not notched. And on the big Speedway President (92) there is a approx 6" space between the lower edge of the door and the rear fender. Incidentally there are no known survivors of the model 92 St Regis. It is hard to tell what model the blue car is but definitely not the Speedway."

post-37352-143142122683_thumb.jpg