Towing around Chicago

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I am looking for comments on the best route around Chicago.

I am towing a 22 foot trailer with an F250 to Milwaukee from Columbus, Ohio and would like to take the least hectic rather then the shortest or fastest route around chicago.

Thanks in advance.

Taking 80 to 294 North might be your best bet. I did the opposite a week ago to drive to South Bend and it wasn't too bad. 90/94 through the city is quicker when the traffic is light. But when its bad, it's pretty hectic. Time of day and which day of the week will make a huge difference. If you don't have an I-Pass, the tolls are double and you'll likely need to wait in line to pay. There's construction on 94 North of the IL boarder, so that could be a PITA too.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)

A few years ago we made 3 trips from PA to Hartford, Wisc pulling a large car trailer. I still have nightmares about driving thru Chicago. 6 lanes of traffic with a train on one side and a commuter rail in the median is about all this country boy could handle.

294 is a toll road. If you leave Milwaukee Sunday evening, you will very likely be stuck in traffic heading for the IL boarder. It seems like half of Chicago heads to Wisconsin for the weekend and they all come home at the same time. Monday morning wouldn't be as bad, but the traffic around Chicago will be worse.

Thanks Guys,

We will be heading north on Friday going thru Chicago late afternoon and heading back north on Sunday evening or Monday morning.

Is 294 a toll road?

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)

If you are running a dooly tolls will be 4 axels, Kenosha county is 2 lanes which bogs down traffic due to construction. I always take 94 to 41 north to Milwaukee, it takes about the same time as 294 paying tolls. Sunday afternoons starts the backup going south. Best driving is late at night. Are you going to a car show in Milwaukee?