1964 Buick Electra 225 Sport Coupe Barn Find

Guest Russ Williams

Guest Russ Williams

Thanks Chris! It is nice to take a breath. Yesterday was the first "day off" I have taken in a while that I wasn't spent working every available minute on the old girl. We really feel like we have accomplished something by getting her going. We have officially now put more miles on her than she had driven from at least 1986 to our purchase a little over a month ago. Another Buick is back on the road!

You are right Doug! I knew the minute the Barn Door opened that I was buying it. My wife has even pitched in (I work 12 hour days as a Car Salesman). She watched me clean, condition, dye and restore the leather on the passenger side seat back. Of her own volition, she spent all day today restoring the leather inserts! She is PROUD! Posted 20 some pics on her Facebook. I am still gonna need to get the seats re-foamed and a couple of seams repaired, but it is definitely presentable!

Here is a before and after:

IMAG2966.jpg

SeatsAfter.jpg

Russ,

Two things:

1st, You are so lucky to have a woman who gets in there to help like Shadetree and a few others have too!

2nd, The reason I knew you had that insight what the car would or could be under all that dirt in the dark is because...

post-36036-143142181764_thumb.jpg

I see this,

post-36036-143142181773_thumb.jpg

For my big Buick some day too (just not in a month like you though) ....

Sure looks like you are doing it right and having fun as you go!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Russ Williams

GORGEOUS '58 Doug!

Hey, I do need a little assistance. I mentioned the vacuum leak from the inspection plate. Well, that entire plate was completely gone. I cut a piece of metal to fit and "J-B Welded" it in place. It lasted about 100 miles before it blew out. So, what it the proper way to replace the inspection plate so I don't have to do this a third time?

Thanks,

Russ

I'm guessing that the "inspection plate" you're referring to on the bottom side of the intake is the big round plug just under the carburetor?

If so, then you can get a replacement plug from one of the Buick vendors. It doesn't pull vacuum, though. It covers the exhaust crossover, and there will be a large exhaust leak if it is rusted through/cracked/broken. You can also try to find a replacement intake.

Guest Russ Williams

Well, that explains why it still runs with a two inch round hole in the intake. Thank you.

All stock Buick "Nailhead" intake manifolds will have this "inspection plate", correct? So I might as well just fix mine correctly.

I assume these go in like freeze plugs? Any additional knowledge one might like to share to insure it stays in?

Thanks!

Russ

Russ,

Waaay back, my '58 Special w/ 2 barrel carb blew out that cover. I thought I had blown the engine! Found the plug laying on the valve lifter cover so took off the intake and it was suggested that it be tack welded back in. That sorta worked for about 100 miles and it just blew again so... ended up going to the local auto wreckers (yes there were still 58's in there then) bought a used intake and it is still OK today (so far).

Good luck with a sealant due to the high exhaust heat and pressure. Because it is like a frost plug, maybe with a hydraulic press and the right setup one could carefully try and press it back in but... then again, what do you have to loose by trying it? A couple of gaskets and your time....

Let us know how it goes. Again, she sure looks good!