1964 Buick Electra 225 Sport Coupe Barn Find

Guest Russ Williams

Guest Russ Williams

I just signed up after reading through a thread of another fella with a '64.

Here's mine as it is at this very minute. She is still in the barn where I found her. Should be outa there on Sunday.

Guest Russ Williams

Thanks!

The '55 Four Door Hardtop next to it and what I think are '50 & '51 Sedans in front of it are also for sale. Reasonable to cheap.

I would rate those cars major projects to parts cars.

Are you considering joining the BCA with this car? It would make a nice touring car to the National Meets and the National Meet is coming to Missouri in 2015. Would love to see the car in person. You can sign up for the BCA online here Buick Club of America Membership Application The club is dedicated to Buicks in any form, and has over 8,000 Members. see the threads in the "General" form on the South Bend Meet. Especially the Forum Breakfast. A wonderful time!

Guest Russ Williams

I don't know about joining a club at this point. I build my cars to my liking and I drive them way more than most folks do. My car vision is often at odds with the "Restore It To Stock" guys. The "You should have done X or not done Y" comments get old very quickly. Maybe you Buick guys are different? Let's give it a test. Here is my vision for this car. Let's test your reactions.

I'll give you a few words of my opinion about your ideas.

I would go with a silver top of all the colors shown. That's to say you don't leave the top solid body color or a white/pearl white. The red was really loud along with the other colors.

I personally like the Buick sport wheels and would much rather have those than the bullet caps and trim rings. The wide whites are hit or miss on some cars I'd have to see it in person but I'd probably run sport wheels and red stripes. especially against a white/silver top but thats just my personal likings.

If you're going to modify the drive train I'd advise to keep it Buick. Buick Motor Company makes some great engines to haul that deuce down the highway.

Cant wait to follow the build and see that deuce come to life and burn up the highway!

Guest my3buicks

So, what is this, a test???? It's your car do what you like - that said, that's a really rare color it's sporting and would be magnificent done to stock rather custom.

Guest Russ Williams

Wow! Very positive comments there Jon. A great example of expressing your opinion without force feeding your own philosophy on the other guy. It is appreciated.

I agree that wide whites on a 1964 (anything) is pushing the envelope here, but I think it works in this instance.

I can appreciate Keith's comments as well. The fella I purchased the car from nearly cried after I was honest with him when asked what was in store for the old girl.

For the record, I'll give a little more detail here.

1. All Buick mechanicals will be maintained 100% Buick with the exception of an Air Ride Suspension and "glass pack" dual exhaust. My cars HAVE to be low but I hate dragging.

2. It will be shaved of all emblems, port holes, handles and etc. The front grill will have the big circle removed and the grill modified to show solid bars across the front (Like the top and bottom grill bars appear now). So, it will be possible, if ever so desired, to return the Deuce Coupe back to factory appearances (acknowledging the skill that will be needed to re-drill all those little holes).

3. The interior is in great shape. I think the leather inserts are restore-able even! So, other than a few gauges and a hidden modern stereo, it will appear stock. I am however, toying with installing a slightly modified '63-'64 Riviera center console...

4. I will not be giving it a traditional paint job. I am simply going to work the body glass smooth, and then wrap it in vinyl. If 3M or Avery ever come out with a "Buick Coral Mist" vinyl, I may give it a shot.

I can do almost all of this work myself. My goal is to have it similar to the video image when "done" (I am never really done), with everything working (including the factory A/C) and have less than $5k in the car.

Edited by Russ Williams (see edit history)

Guest wildcat465

Sounds like you have a plan to have fun with your car.

THAT'S what the old car hobby is about.

Some will grumble about your car. Don't listen and enjoy what you are doing.

The BCA has a dynamic Modified Group, no reason not to join, unless you don't like cool folks to hang out with.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Russ Williams

After having my last three days off from work swiped away by one thing or another, I was finally able to go get my big ole girl and bring her home! I made a quick stop at a car wash to spray the top layer of barn dirt off. She made it the remaining 60 plus miles unscathed! Here are a few pics:

Guest Russ Williams

Here is a quick look under the hood. The previous (2nd) owner rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel pump, most of the ignition items and a few other things before he lost interest and/or time "5 or 6 years ago". The boiled and lined tank has been been installed but I think I have a clog in the hard line.

Guest Russ Williams

QUESTION

I have seen 1964 Electras with and without side marker lamps on the front fenders, just in front of the wheel well. Was this an option or a mid-year change?

Guest Russ Williams

Starter engagement problem solved! Thanks JohnD1956!

I also got the hard fuel lines all cleaned up. She now runs from her freshly boiled and lined gas tank. The new sending unit is working great and the gas gauge reads perfectly!

Here is the start-up:

Starter engagement problem solved! Thanks JohnD1956!

I also got the hard fuel lines all cleaned up. She now runs from her freshly boiled and lined gas tank. The new sending unit is working great and the gas gauge reads perfectly!

Here is the start-up:

Well, WHAT was the answer to the problem.?

Ben

Guest Russ Williams

After a few hours of mechanical work, I decided to start with a little cleaning. It obviously needs a ton of that! I started inside the trunk and am working my way out. The trunk floor and floor pans are absolutely solid, which is rare in my part of the world. All of the cardboard finish panels are in good shape. The original trunk lining material is also there, though stained a bit. I got the left half of the trunk cleaned and polished before I tuckered out.

Here are some pics:

Guest Russ Williams
Well, WHAT was the answer to the problem.?

Ben

Well, I followed the ignition wiring from the switch all the way to the solenoid. I disconnected, cleaned and re-installed every wire, making sure I had strong contact and making sure that the heavy positive cable was not arching with the solenoid wires. I am not sure which exact connection was the culprit, but I assume it was the heavy power cable to the solenoid arching against one of the other solenoid wires.

Guest Russ Williams

Just a quick update.

Engine is purring like a kitten now. Brakes are tomorrow! Sunday I pulled the hubs to take inventory. EVERYTHING is brand new! Well, was brand new probably 5 years ago. Hubs all have a fresh even turn on them and are plenty thick. All of the hardware still has a new "sheen", once I blew the dust off. Shoes look like new. With the length of her rest in the barn I am going to go ahead and replace all of the wheel cylinders and the master cylinder. All of which were available locally and amazingly inexpensive. I'll have a new video of tomorrow's endeavor soon.

Russ

Guest Russ Williams

The "Barn Find" 1964 Buick Electra 225 Coupe saga continues! Yesterday was New Wheel Cylinders & Master Cylinder. However, all of the brake line fittings need to be soaked in PB Blaster (penetrating oil) so they can be removed without damage. The years in the barn made those lines VERY secure so I sprayed them down, tapped on them, and attempted a turn with the line-wrench every half hour or so until the fittings backed out normally without any damage. While they soaked I took on a couple of other jobs painting wheels and detailing the interior.

By the time the lines were all free I had painted a couple of wheels and cleaned the interior. She Goes and Stops now! I took it on it's first drive in who-knows-how-long, two miles down to our local Convenience Store and back.

No issues!

Barring any insurmountable events, we should be on track for her first official unveiling at the 2013 Greaserama, Platte County (Missouri) Fairgrounds, August 31 - September 1!

Edited by Russ Williams (see edit history)

Guest Russ Williams

Working out the details now.

I received the Bullet Acorn Lugs and the Bullet Center Caps. Turns out that the clearance between the wheel's center bore and the hub's center ridge is too tight for the push through caps. So, I am going to fabricate some brackets for the center caps.

Now in the process of chasing all the wires and insuring good connections. Lights are working, gauges are working, Power windows (well, 3 out of 4) are working (I'll get that last one).

The muffler was cut off when the gas tank was removed by the previous owner. It is running a single pipe down the passenger side frame rail. The sound quality of the video kinda sux but it really doesn't sound that bad for no mufflers. I am going to put a temporary muffler on there for now. I will have an all new dual exhaust system installed after the air bags are done.

The video was shot by my wife Kate yesterday.

Guest Russ Williams

I found a glove-box button/lock assembly as well as a new glove-box door on CraigsList. So that is no longer needed.

One week to Greaserama!

Guest Russ Williams

With Greaserama coming THIS WEEKEND I thought it was time to make her a bit more presentable.

1.) I started with an extreme clean-up of the body.

2.) I then wet sanded the entire car with 1000 grit.

3.) This was followed by wet sanding the entire car with 3000 grit.

4.) Hand polished the entire car.

5.) Hand polished the entire car again.

6.) Hand waxed the car.

Bertha is a big ole girl! She really needs two more coats of wax but I think it will be a few days before my body can handle it. I am worn slick!

Here is the results:

Russ,

I love what you have been able to do for her!

I like BIG Buicks and that red with whitewalls and white roof really pops now!

I also like the fact you probably saw that under all the barn dirt in the dark barn too didn't you?

Justifies the ad slogan,"WOULDN'T YOU REALLY RATHER OWN A BUICK?

Happy travels.

Guest Russ Williams

You are right Doug! I knew the minute the Barn Door opened that I was buying it. My wife has even pitched in (I work 12 hour days as a Car Salesman). She watched me clean, condition, dye and restore the leather on the passenger side seat back. Of her own volition, she spent all day today restoring the leather inserts! She is PROUD! Posted 20 some pics on her Facebook. I am still gonna need to get the seats re-foamed and a couple of seams repaired, but it is definitely presentable!

Here is a before and after:

IMAG2966.jpg

SeatsAfter.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Russ Williams

I think setting the Greaserama deadline really got me motivated to get Bertha on the road! The show kicked off with a Pre-Party in Kansas City Friday night (08/30/2013) and we made it!

However, by the skin of our teeth. I had to rebuild the carb on Thursday AND get the exhaust done! Once the exhaust was quieted down I discovered a vacuum leak at the inspection plate under the intake manifold (couldn't hear it before). But, we ultimately made it to KC for the party. On the drive to Platte City from Kansas City (it's a suburb) we hit a deer. MAN I WAS FRUSTRATED! A month's worth of every spare moment on this ole girl wasted on a hooved rat. I got out of the car and walked around front with much trepidation. Not a scratch! Not even a fluff of fur! UNBELIEVABLE! The deer did not fare so well...

Anyway, here is a little video just of shots of Bertha at Greaserama. I'll have another video up later today with coverage of the rest of the show.