Chrysler Windsor Start Heat Shield

My 1949 Windsor with the 251 Spitfire runs well, but after driving a decent distance and shutting off the engine it has trouble starting until i've let it cool for a good 20 or more minutes. From what I have seen it sounds as though my starter heat shield is missing and perhaps causing me issues, and I really am not seeing any sort of shield around the starter. My manual hasn't really helped me to specify what it should look like and where exactly it attaches. Anyone have information on the shield and perhaps where I can order the exact part I need.

It is usually best to take it to a local auto electric shop or starter and alternator rebuilder. They are located all over the country, there should be several near you. Call around and ask if they can rebuild a 1949 starter, most can. If you live in Iowa farming country they routinely rebuild starters and generators for old tractors and equipment.

We used to fix them up at home but you need the right tools to do a proper job.

Incidentally my local rebuilder does twice as good a job as the typical parts store rebuilt, and charges half or less what they do. Should be around $100. You can ask for an estimate.

This is if you take the starter off and deliver it to their shop.

Time to do the rebuild, a couple of hours (including waiting for the paint to dry) but it may take several days before they get to it. Especially if they are good and don't charge too much.

You could ask your local mechanic or old car friends where they send their starters alternators and generators.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)