Help with setting ignition breaker gap - 48 connie V-12

48cabriolet

for my 1948 Connie - I have the breaker gap specs - .015" - do I need to remove the distributor from the car to do this? Any help pics, pointers appreciated. I have gone thru most of the old service manuals, no good diagrams on how to do this.

Thanks!

Guest LINCAB4041

And be sure to watch for the offset drive tab when re-installing it. My first time to take off a 1935 Ford dist. back in 1947 ended in my breaking the cast of the dist. when re-installing it.

And be sure to watch for the offset drive tab when re-installing it. My first time to take off a 1935 Ford dist. back in 1947 ended in my breaking the cast of the dist. when re-installing it.

So when you say offset drive tab - there is only one way to install the distributor correctly? That was one on my concerns was to install the distributor in the correct timing orientation.

Yes, the drive key is off set slightly so that the distributor will only go on one way. This way all the adjustments can be made on the distributor while it's off the engine. The drive slot on the cam is also off set. When the distributor is oriented correctly all three attaching bolts wil turn freely. Check the orientation of the slot on the camshaft then turn the distributor rotor to match, then. While holding the distributor in place against the front cover you can move the rotor with your fingers for final engagement.

Guest LINCAB4041

Dee is correct on all of the installation. When I posted to make sure the tab is in the correct slot, if you are not careful and start the three bolts into the housing, you could as I did when I was 17, think that by pulling up the housing snug onto the block, it was set correct. When I pulled the bolts down tight, it cracked off one side of the housing. I learned the hard way back then with no internet to gain information in those days.

A picture is always helpful, if a new area you have not seen apart yet. As they have explained, you want to reassemble with the distributor key offset to the same side as the slot offset in the end of the cam. If in the correct position, the key fits into the slot and the distributor bolt tabs move in to mate up tight against the block. If installed wrong - 180 degrees off- the distributor stands off the block with about 1/4" gap and won't go in any further, so then if you tighten the 3 bolts, it bends over the bolt tabs and breaks them off. (helpful note: if you put the 3 bolts in finger tight first, then you can reach in the top thru the coil hole, and if you rotate the rotor back and forth you can usually feel a slight movement/click tolerance of a few thousandths in the key/slot when installed correct, to be sure you got it right and it is not binding up in the wrong position, before tightening the bolts.)

post-45349-143142037646_thumb.jpg

post-45349-143142037649_thumb.jpg