without a longroof after more than a decade

Guest boones

Guest boones

about a month ago, I had a weak moment and put my 48 Dodge B1 woodie on ebay. well it sold and now for the first time in over a decade I am without a longroof. Now I sit with an open space in my garage and a hole in my sole as I miss not having a long roof to call my own. I ended up selling it because after way to many yrs of it just sitting I thought it would be better to have the garage space and extra cash for other project I need to finish.

So I may not own one, I will occassionaly check in and see what going on. I am saving my money and hope after I sell another project to be able to afford another woodie (one that is more desireable to me, my wholy grail is a 49 chevy, but I love the 49-51 Fords and 28-31 Model A woodies)

Guest Rob McDonald

BOONES, so you've now joined us lurkers, enjoying other people's woodie projects without actually getting the slivers ourselves. Not such a bad life. A Model A woodie seems like that easiest way for you to get back into woodie ownership, although that's an awfully primitive car for even a short Sunday drive. Early County Squire wagons are certainly well supported by the hobby and pretty nice to drive but they're accordingly pricy. A post-war Chevy wagon is so rare that I can offer no opinion, except that they are beautiful cars.

• 4 months later...

Yes, takes the same labor to bend and weld a seat frame in polished stainless as it does in regular steel. The cost of the stainless is about the same as a quality plating job would cost, assuming you could find a plater who could handle those big awkward things. No luck on the square vent windows. We have searched and searched trying to find out what else they fit with no luck. It is hard to believe they were scratch built just for these wagons. On the '47 Cadillac wagon we are building for a customer ( same body shell as the '48 Buick) those vents will be inoperable. Same problem with the rear door hinges. Apparently they fit nothing else other than the '46-'48 wagons. We had the large bottom hinges cast in silicon bronze and machined them. The upper hinges we fabricated from steel.