Carb in a basket.....Help

Guest Allred

Guest Allred

Hello, I am an AACA newbie, a previous lurker, but now with a reason to join, post and participate in the forum. That is; Grandma's 1928 Chrysler four door sedan, which last ran in the county parade about 10 years ago. Since then she has passed on, and the car has come to us as part of our family heritage. Some refurbishment is in order, including cleaning and assembly of the Stromberg U2 carburetor which is now in pieces. Hopefully I can attach a photo, and hopefully, I can request some help. Does anyone have a diagram or parts list for this carburetor? Or, does anyone have specs for same such as float setting, air needle adjustment, etc. Any information will be greatly appreciated. There are some parades coming up soon, and we would love to enter the Chrysler again. Thanks in advance! If I have troubles uploading photos, I'll do so in next post when I figure out how to do it.

post-94920-143141993268_thumb.jpg

Guest 32stude
The car looks like it is a 1929, the 28's had a thicker radiator shell and more of a drum shaped headlight.

If this carb is not brass or iron the metal may be distorted and will not be repairable.

Don't waste your time get a carter bb1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest martylum

Alfred-It obvious someone felt the carb had problems which probably included fuel leaks from various parts of the carb. The early 30s Carter BB1 is the universal carb retrofitted to many earlier cars with updraft carbs.

I had the Stromberg 1929 carb rebuilt successfully for a 29 Desoto which is about the same size as your car which is perhaps a Model 65 Chrysler. and the (finally) successful rebuild gave the Desoto a very responsive engine. Much more so than My 1930 Desoto with an early original rebuilt Carter carb.

Talk to a couple carb rebuilders about the feasibility of rebuilding your carb. I don't think it's a job for an amateur. E-mail me for the addresses of several people I've used as a restorer. The Australians do have all of the troublesome pieces at a price.

Martin Lum

marty@oldercar.com