1931 olds vin number decode

Guest roccodart446

Guest roccodart446

Serial number is C2332i

engine number is 257392x

What can you guys tell me about this car? I believe it is a 31 olds standard coupe but some of the features don't match up in my mind.

My knowledge of the prewar Olds is very limited and all I really have to go on is info in the Standard Catalog of Oldsmobile.

It lists Model 31-FC as a 2-door three passenger coupe of which there were 3700 built. The 1931 engine numbers ranged from 253001 thru 301655, so your engine falls in the 1931 range.

The SCO lists 6 Accessory Group option packages for 1931. Maybe your 31 came with one of them?

Guest roccodart446

It has the rear blind inside, a spare tire mounted on the rear to name a couple. but it comes off like a standard coupe. Maybe those were optional.

Often in the early 30s, things such as bumpers and single spare tires were not standard, but were "mandatory options." Actually, the spare rim might have been standard, but the tire and tube would have been optional.

Pictures might help with identification.

Paul

Guest roccodart446
Often in the early 30s, things such as bumpers and single spare tires were not standard, but were "mandatory options." Actually, the spare rim might have been standard, but the tire and tube would have been optional.

Pictures might help with identification.

Paul

It has a spare wheel but no spare tire.

post-94773-143141968272_thumb.jpg

Roccodart446--I just dug out my Olds book and what I found is that they only made two models of coupes in '31. The standard business coupe(2 passenger) and the sport coupe (2+2 in rumble seat).The picture shows yours to be the standard business coupe. The standard coupe came in two wheel options 5 wooden wheels as yours or 5 wire wheels. Production for your car was 1059 units built, the base price was $845. The five wire wheel car production was 1364. As mentioned by Paul the bumper/spare wheel was an option but "not mandatory", this option was listed as an additional $ 20, but did not include a tire/tube. Your engine number does fit into the early production run, but I am puzzled by the X after it. I have seen General Motors stamp an "X", as denoting export, where are you located? I assume you are going to restore this car as it appears to be worthy of it. Best of luck on this great car. --Bob

Guest roccodart446
Roccodart446--I just dug out my Olds book and what I found is that they only made two models of coupes in '31. The standard business coupe(2 passenger) and the sport coupe (2+2 in rumble seat).The picture shows yours to be the standard business coupe. The standard coupe came in two wheel options 5 wooden wheels as yours or 5 wire wheels. Production for your car was 1059 units built, the base price was $845. The five wire wheel car production was 1364. As mentioned by Paul the bumper/spare wheel was an option but "not mandatory", this option was listed as an additional $ 20, but did not include a tire/tube. Your engine number does fit into the early production run, but I am puzzled by the X after it. I have seen General Motors stamp an "X", as denoting export, where are you located? I assume you are going to restore this car as it appears to be worthy of it. Best of luck on this great car. --Bob

i'm in NY state.

I'm actually trying to sell it to a restorer. I bought it to build a hot rod. It seemed a bit too nice and rare for that purpose. So I'm offering it up to the guys who like the original stuff. We'll see how the sale goes. So far very little interest.

• 3 months later...

you can verify for xport on this coupe if you see any indication that the auto can be set up for right hand drive as for entry holes in floor board. mountig holes in frame for steering linkage and areas for steering bracing under dash...my F-31 had all these indicators because as the economy was failing Fisher Body was sending alot of autos across the pond....also look at cross member in rear in front of fuel tank area ..if I remember facing forward is another vin number stamping and verify that the front stamping matches the rear stamping....

Edited by jwd014
add info (see edit history)

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

There should be a number stamped on the drivers side  chassis rail in the vicinity above the front axle. There is a second at the rear on the front fuel tank cross member, again on the drivers side. This number is the same as the number stamped on the front engine location if the engine has not been changed. They are not easy to see if there’s any corrosion but the numbers average about 3/8” in size. The chassis number is also on the data plate along with the body number which is different. My body number is what my car is titled with. Do you have a title?

F354E4CE-441C-4F76-9674-1D264CF6682F.jpeg L

Edited by chistech (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...