New Owner 1949 Windsor

A couple weeks ago I purchased a 49 Windsor, it was a one family car, I bought it from the original owners grandson, his grandpa bought it new in 49 and drove it for many years, it ended up in a shed that eventually fell down on it, when this guys dad retired in the late eighties he restored it, overhauled the engine, new paint, new interior, new brakes, and the new tires purchased in 1988 (I have the receipt) that are still on it, like new, when I purchased the car the owner took me for a drive, he started out in first, let it shift to second, pushed in the clutch and shifted to 3rd, then let it shift to 4th, I asked him if you had to push in the clutch when you stopped and he said yes. He said his dad had driven it in a couple parades after restoration, and that he had put maybe twenty miles on it in the last 5 years after his father passed. My son had driven me the 225 miles to purchase the car and I asked the owner if he thought it was road worthy he said yes but I don't know about driving it that far, my son said "That's what we do" and we did. It drove like a dream, about 80 miles from home we hit a rain storm in a major city at rush hour, just kept cruising along. stopped for gas and it was dead when I tried to start it. I told my son to pull the other car around to jump it, he said but dad it's a 12 volt, I said we would try anyway and had him connect the ground when I tried to start it and disconnect it as soon as it started, which it did, didn't hurt anything. the car did seem a little sluggish in 3rd gear and after reading on this site I discovered the Torque Converter, a gallon low, no more starting in 1st no more using the clutch at stop signs, it was like a new car. The battery kept going dead and I thought I would have to put a new battery in it the amp meter was showing charge when it was running, I did note that the battery had negative ground and figured it had been switched, however I noticed that the coil wires were hooked up for positive ground I switched the battery around and now amp meter was showing discharge, checking the generator it was dead, I took the generator off and discovered the brushes were trash, the wires weren't attached to the brushes. I fixed that, charges now, battery good, I have found untold information about this vehicle on this website. I have one question if anyone can help there is a spring hanging off the clutch fork, I cannot figure out where it attaches.

post-70375-143141965853_thumb.jpg

post-70375-14314196587_thumb.jpg

Guest Henry White

The front end of that spring attaches to a small bracket which bolts onto the side of the bellhousing if I remember correctly.