1959 Buick LeSabre Grille question

factoryben

I have just started the process of refurbishing a 1959 Buick LeSabre convertible. I have a 1959 LeSabre 2 door sedan as a parts car. Both cars are relatively original cars which do not appear to be modified. Both cars have grilles that are in reasonably good condition. Neither car's grille has the center circled V emblem that I have noticed on many other 59 Buicks. My father bought a new 59 LeSabre convertible in the spring of 1959 that I have fond memories of. My recollection is that his car did not have this emblem either, but I could be wrong on that as I was pretty young. The question I have is if any of you 59 Buick people know if this was an emblem for the higher end cars (Invicta/Electra) or was an accessory addition. I have seen some LeSabre's out there with the badge but just don't know the history. Pictures of my two cars grilles attached. Thanks. Ben

post-83726-143141963236_thumb.jpg

post-83726-143141963217_thumb.jpg

Responding via my phone, so brief reply here. Grille ornament standard on all but lesabre. All lesabre convertibles and flat top four door hardtops should have the ornament. Sedans, estate wagons, and two door hardtops received the ornament only if bright drip rail molding was ordered.

• 1 year later...

Centurion, in the 60's I owned a 1959 Buick LeSabre Two-Door Hardtop (Sport Coupe). It did not have the V medallion in the center of the grille. There was an older couple in our town who owned a 1959 LeSabre convertible. That car was really sharp and they had bought it new here in Hutchinson. I do remember that that car did not have the V medallion in the grille either. The car that I owned had the 401 Nailhead V-8 in it also. I got into quite a discussion with a guy in Rochester, Minnesota at the BCA Meet in 2006. He said the LeSabre's only came with a 364 V-8. I and another guy told him that back in those days a dealer could special order just about anything within reason and that was exactly what was done with the car that I had. The 1959 LeSabres were pretty much a plain jane car and did not have much ornamentation on them at all. I sure wish that I had taken more pictures of that car back then and I really wish that I had that car now. With that 401 in it that thing would just flat fly.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

I have now acquired a third 59 LeSabre to use for my convertible restoration. The convertible was originally equipped with the low horsepower nailhead with 2bbl and a three speed manual transmission. Power train was removed from my convertible before I got it. The 2 door sedan pictured above has an automatic. The third car I acquired is a four door sedan but it has the complete 3 speed/2bbl carb engine,trans and torque tube differential to complete my convertible to original specifications. BUT the 4 door also has NO GRILLE EMBLEM. I was able to find some old pictures of my dad's 59 convertible and confirmed my memory that it had no emblem either. A pattern is developing here for LeSabres. While I know some LeSabres had the emblem in 59 it appears many did not. I don't believe this can be explained by simply saying that the emblems fell off or were damaged. So, if anyone has information on which cars came with or without this emblem I would love to know. Thanks to everyone for chiming in. Ben

• 1 month later...
Guest brian7786

Just reading your thread on the emblem...I also have a 1959 lesabre 4 door original car. I am the second owner and I know for a fact it never had the V emblem.

You may want to check where your car was built. From what I understand, if it was made in Canada (Oshawa, Ontario) it will not have the emblem. I think only the US lesabre/invicta had the emblem.