1954 Mopar Automatic Transmissions

• 1 year later...

In 1954, you could still get a Dodge gyro-matic (the M6 so-called semi automatic transmission), same thing as the tip-toe shift. I think the last year for the M6 in the Desoto and Chrysler lines was 1953. You could also get the Plymouth Hy-Drive transmission in 1954. That was a 3-speed manual transmission with a clutch behind an engine oil fed torque converter.

A high school friend had a '54 Dodge with the gryo-matic. The car had been his father's. He told me his father liked the M-6 transmission, but he had to special order it from the dealer because there were none on lots in his area. Only 3 speed manuals and powerflites.

Chrysler's Powerflite (late 1953) was similar to Chevrolet's 2nd generation Powerglide (1953) and Ford's 2nd Fordomatic (1959). All three were two speed units with a torque converter and started out in low gear when in Drive and shifted to direct.

Buick's Dynaflow (1948) was a 2-speed box but started in direct drive when in Drive while low gear was available only when you placed it in Low. The 1st Chevrolet Powerglide of 1950-52 was similar to Dynaflow. Packard's Ultramatic (1949) was also similar to Dynaflow but with a lockup torque converter, while Twin-Ultramatic (1955) had low gear start in Drive. The oriiginal Fordomatic (1951) was a 3 speed - 1st gear was Low while Drive started in 2nd and shifted to 3rd. Studebaker's Automatic Drive (1950) was similar to Fordomatic but with a lockup torque converter and a hill-holder.

The first automobile automatic, Hydramatic, used a 4-speed gearbox connected to a fluid coupling and was introduced to the public for the 1940 model year - the year before Chrysler's Fluid Drive was mated to a 4-speed semi-automatic.

Chrysler's Torqueflite came out late in the 1956 model year and used a 3-speed planetary gear set with a torque converter. Both GM (Turbo Hydramatic) and Ford (1960's Cruiseomatic) would copy Torqueflite. Chrysler was the last manufacturer to get an automatic but they came up with the best.

The three speed automatics must have been a running change in 56. I see 56 Imperials like mine with either two or three speeds. Mine is a three speed and still works after all these years. The engine nor transmission has ever been apart and still starts when ever I need it to.

1953 imperial had the powerflite in the later runs of the car, but all other Chryslers did not have it until 1954. I have a 54 Windsor and it is a good trans. I just do not have kickdown. It leaks in the rear and makes my parking brake useless. drives and shifts like it should. they were used in police cars for a long time. very bulletproof units and easily rebuildable. capt den