Paint chips.

Guest windjamer

Guest windjamer

OK Shoprat and judges, your restoration was complete 5 years ago, your going to a meet,you find some paint chips (2 or 3 ) on the engine. Pulling the engine and re-painting the whole engine is not an option,you have a can of the original paint but touch up will surely show,would you take a point?? What would you advise??

A noticeable chip where no attempt was made to touch it up would cause me to take a 1 point deduction. It might take 3 or 4 touched up chips to cause me to take a point depending on the quality of the touchup. That's if I even saw them in the first place.

Guest windjamer

Thanks Matt and Restorer, I know and agree with you both but some of our judges demand perfection yet they never left the factory perfect. Most of our cars are over restored and some of us have come to expect it as factory. At judging school we are told time and time again, do not nit pick, but some of us must turn off our hearing aids.

Did the factory intend the engine to have paint chips? Could there not have been the occasional engine leave the factory with extremely nice paint? Nit picking is one thing. Assuming the factory did sloppy work intentionally is something different. AACA already has the reputation of being one of the easiest venues in which to compete. Personally I'd like an AACA trophy to continue to mean something.

Guest windjamer
Did the factory intend the engine to have paint chips? Could there not have been the occasional engine leave the factory with extremely nice paint? Nit picking is one thing. Assuming the factory did sloppy work intentionally is something different. AACA already has the reputation of being one of the easiest venues in which to compete. Personally I'd like an AACA trophy to continue to mean something.

I could not agree with you more Restorer and no I don't remember any leaning the factory with a pint chip.I do remember one arriving at the dealers with a coke can and a marble in it taped to the brace behind the sail panel. I also remember the BRAND NEW car judged at a judging school that barely earned enough pts. for a first jr. I THINK we have the BEST system in the hobby,at the same time I watched a participant show a team the original window sticker with TIRE SIZE and he was told they would have to see if the chief judge would except it. We have the best but where not perfect.

I wouldn't blindly accept a window sticker. If, for instance, the window sticker specified radials on a car that shouldn't have them I would question it. Wouldn't surprise me if somewhere on the internet window stickers can be purchased saying whatever one wants them to say. Pretty easy to fake don't you think?

Guest windjamer
A very quick google turned up WindowStickers.com

I guess I didn't think about cheater's,you have me there.At 70 + if I have to cheat I'm in the wrong hobby. Been gone the past about 2 years due to the wife's illness and passing just getting the car back out and myself back in the hobby. Hope to see you in Il.

Sorry wj I just saw this. :o

The touch-up work should be as neat as possible especially if the rest of the paint is nice even if it is an older restoration. But my honest guess is that if something at the factory chipped the paint on the engine they didn't worry about how "perfect" their touch-up work was. They grabbed the handiest brush and dobbed some paint over the chip to keep it from rusting and sent it down the line. :rolleyes: I would honestly question an engine judge that came to me with a bunch of points off for paint chip repair in an engine compartment. I would go have a look-see for myself and make sure they weren't nit-picking.

Edited by Shop Rat
Correct a type-o (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest windjamer

Thank you Susan,I'm sure you know I'm not talking about a sloppy job, but the slide adjuster was chipped from moving the alternator. I sprayed paint in a cap and then used a q-tip to touch it. I earned my 1st.GN in Moline,so guess I got my ans. LOOKING forward to seeing you and old friends at Hershey. Beers good Gods great people are crazy.

We are reminded at Judge's Breakfast that the quality and level of detail of judging at the Annual Grand National Meet (AGNM) is the same as at every national meet -- only the required point scores are higher. This is a reminder that our judges are not "more picky" just because it is the AGNM. It still all comes down to authenticity and then condition. I would like to see everyone who shows a car also attend Judging School, preferably a couple of times. This would give a better handle on what to expect, and might even help us to recruit more judges. As a Senior-Master Judge, I've served as Team Captain, and am working toward certification, I'm constantly impressed with the quality and expertise of those with whom I've judged. At Moline, our team judged 20 cars, much of it in the rain - a dedicated, devoted bunch who drove many miles, paid for their own hotels and meals, and got drenched in the process of ensuring that members' cars were properly recognized. On another topic, having been awarded a First Place Grand National last year at Shelbyville, I showed my 1934 Buick at Moline AGNM last Saturday. Owners know their car's faults, and I'm aware of a minor flaw which I expect a judge would probably have noticed - not enough to knock the Buick out of contention, but probably not major enough to re-do. I was delighted to have the Buick recognized with her Senior Grand National.

Edited by Marty Roth
spelling (see edit history)

We are reminded at Judge's Breakfast that the quality and level of detail of judging at the Annual Grand National Meet (AGNM) is the same as at every national meet -- only the required point scores are higher. This is a reminder that our judges are not "more picky" just because it is the AGNM......

When I judged at my first AGNM at Dayton, Ohio (a lifetime ago) the famed Benny Bootle was my Team Captain. And yes, he was wearing the equally famous (signed by someone famous on the inside of the bib part) bib overalls. I was the one judging exteriors. He told me to lower every hood and trunk down to check the fit. He said that by the time a vehicle reached Grand National level any issues with fit and finish should have been fixed. :rolleyes:

When I judged at my first AGNM at Dayton, Ohio (a lifetime ago) the famed Benny Bootle was my Team Captain. And yes, he was wearing the equally famous (signed by someone famous on the inside of the bib part) bib overalls. I was the one judging exteriors. He told me to lower every hood and trunk down to check the fit. He said that by the time a vehicle reached Grand National level any issues with fit and finish should have been fixed. :rolleyes:

Susan, that was a lifetime ago.... Judges, as you well know, are specifically instructed that we ONLY do HANDS - OFF JUDGING !! I say this not for you, because you are certainly aware, but for the benefit of those who might assume that a judge would actually touch a car. This, of course is not the case. We even ask owners to open and close doors !! Not lecturing - just reiterating for the benefit of those who have not yet attended Judging School .

Yes, Marty that was a lifetime ago. Things have changed a lot since then. I barely had the required 25 credits, if I remember correctly, to judge at a Grand National MEET. And when Benny Bootle told me to check the fit of hoods and trunks I did what I was told to do. Now we wouldn't dream of having a judge do that.

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

Yes, Marty that was a lifetime ago. Things have changed a lot since then. I barely had the required 25 credits, if I remember correctly, to judge at a Grand National MEET. And when Benny Bootle told me to check the fit of hoods and trunks I did what I was told to do. Now we wouldn't dream of having a judge do that.

Susan: Many members I have talked to "wish you would"! ;) Larry