1954-56 Buick performance front sway bar kit

brad54

Anyone with a '54-'56 Buick knows two things: They came from the factory with a front sway bar, and the front sway bar is a Tinker Toy.

Stock bars are .69-inch diameter, with a 113lb/ft spring rate.

Wanting something that kept me in the seat around corners, I started manufacturing 1.00-inch bars for these cars, with a 500 lb/ft spring rate. I could have gone up in diameter, but 1.125-inch bumps it up to an 800-lb spring rate, which I thought was too stiff for our Buicks.

These are true bolt-ins, attaching to the frame and control arms with the factory mounting points. It'll take you longer to get the tools out and get the car up on jack stands than it'll take to install the new sway bar.

My sway bar kits include a sway bar powder-coated black powder-coated to modern OE specs and standards, black urethane bushings, and all new plated hardware.

These bars are proudly made in America to modern OE specifications.

$219, plus shipping.

For more info, send me an email at brad56@windstream.net, or call (706) 424-5035.

-Bradpost-30920-1431419527_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well then, I'll be the first to report. I got my sway bar in the mail today, and installed it in time to drive her out to the Orange County Buick Club meeting.

With old original springs on a 1954 Super Riviera, bias-ply tires, Dynaflow, and with power steering and factory AC recently added, I noticed a very nice improvement in cornering. There is much less sway. The front end feels more stable, not nearly so heavy on the front.

The kit comes with new brackets for the frame mounts. I kept my originals, and they work fine.

Very nice job, Brad!!! I highly recommend.

• 3 weeks later...

HA! Thanks Lamar!

As Lamar said, they are the same for all models, 1954, 1955 and 1956.

We've shipped about two per week, and we've gotten GREAT customer feedback from them.

Bulldog, being in Birmingham, you could save shipping and come pick it up at the NE Georgia Swap Meet or the Gear Jam vintage drags at the Atlanta Dragway in Commerce! It's about four hours from you, but we're getting guys from B'ham, Charlotte, Chattanooga and Nashville coming for our one-day swap meet, and The Gear Jam will definitely be worth the trip if you want to see a great swap meet, car show and vintage heads-up racing all day.

Or, I can ship it to your door, you can install it and drive that pretty Buick to the events!

I'm easy that way. ;)

-Brad

Guest 42buickman

I just wondering, what effect a thicker bar, 1 1/8, or 1 1/4, would have on the ride, and cornering. It seems that the 1 inch is optimum in your opinion or experience, but was just wondering about the thicker bar. Also, from what I have read, a rear sway bar is advised when using a thicker or stronger front sway bar. Opinion ?????? Thanks, Paul

Paul,

The stock bar is .69-inches, with a 113lbs/inch spring rate.

My bar is 1.00-inches, and has a 500-lbs/inch rate.

Going up to 1 1/8-inch (1.125) bumps it up to 800 lbs/inch rate.

I don't know what a 1 1/4-inch bar would be (1.250).

I thought long and hard about the diameters, and decided that Buicks were known for being a COMFORTABLE ride... soft even... With the 500 lbs/inch bar, you can still hit bumps with one front tire, and it won't jar the whole front end. Would a 800-lbs/inch bar be overly harsh? Probably not, but it definitely wouldn't be as plush. We aren't carving corners in our '54-'56 Buicks... we're driving them at regular speed limits, on regular roads, and want something that keeps us from sliding across the bench seat when we go around curves and corners. The 1.00-inch, 500 in/lb bar does that.

That said, I will be doing a small, limited run of 1.250-inch bars late in 2014 or early 2015, because I do plan on building a '54 Buick race car to run in the La Carrera Pan Americana. I WANT a very stiff bar for that.

As for rear bars, yes, once you start making the front end handle tighter, you'll want to tighten up the rear end a bit too, because at that point you're going for more spirited, performance driving.

I found out that '54-'56 Olds 98s, the top of the line Olds, came from the factory with front and rear sway bars. The front bar is the same diameter as our Buick bars (but not interchangeable).

I've added a 1.250-inch bar to the front of my '61 Suburban: it's heavier than our Buicks, and has a much higher center of gravity. I drive it much faster than I should, and I haven't noticed a "need" for a rear bar... but I do want to add one anyway, because like I said, I drive it faster than I should.

Chances are before all is said and done, I'll add rear sway bars for '54-'56 Buicks to my offerings, but it'll be at least 18 months before I do.

-Brad

Guest 42buickman

Thanks for the informative reply, and, as I said once before, one could and should get a college diploma from reading and corresponding in this forum. Thanks, Paul

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Brad lives not far from me. I am planning on being at the Charlotte Auto Fair http://www.charlotte-autofair.com/ on April 5th and if anyone here with a 54-55-56 is planning on going and needs one of his sway bars, let me know and I can save you shipping (Brad said typical shipping along the east coast is around $20-25) and bring it with me to the meet. We can meet and you can pay for and pick it up there.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Lamar, bring one for sure. The old Roady just leans like a ship in a storm when I round a corner. I've been wanting one and these will be a good opportunity to save a few bucks...and I do love to get a good deal...Just let me know where you will be. I'm judging so that's where I'll be on Saturday. Thanks a lot, Earl

Edited by Earl B.
spelling (see edit history)

I have always felt a SWAY BAR doesn't affect straight line ride quality when hitting bumps in the road. I'm fully aware they do great things in aiding corner lean, but since you make these bars, WHAT IS YOUR SKINNY ON STRAIGHT LINE RIDE QUALITY, does a heavy duty bar have any NEGATIVE affect?

Dale in Indy

I have always felt a SWAY BAR doesn't affect straight line ride quality when hitting bumps in the road. I'm fully aware they do great things in aiding corner lean, but since you make these bars, WHAT IS YOUR SKINNY ON STRAIGHT LINE RIDE QUALITY, does a heavy duty bar have any NEGATIVE affect?

Dale in Indy

If you hit a bump with BOTH front wheels, at the SAME TIME, then the sway bar will rise with both, and it won't affect ride quality.

If you hit a bump or pot hole with just ONE front wheel, that A-arm is attached to the frame and the other A-arm via the sway bar--Because the other A-arm isn't moving, it effectively holds the arm that hit the bump, from going through it's full range of motion. Basically, it adds more resistance to the shock and spring on the side going through the bump.

There's a line (and sometimes not all that fine of a line) between keeping the ride comfortable, and making it harsh when one side of the front suspension hits a bump.

That's why I chose the 1-inch diameter bar for our Buicks; it firms up the cornering, but doesn't over-power the coil spring and shock.

-Brad

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Fr. Buick!

Still have them on the shelves, but they are going quick!

For our Overseas enthusiasts, I've found I can ship them fairly reasonable via US Postal Service, so give me a call if you live outside the US. Shipped one to Norway this week, and have several enthusiasts in Australia and New Zealand that we're shipping to.