1950 Buick Special Sedanette

Guest 1950_Buick

• 1 year later...
Guest 1950_Buick

It's been a while since posting, thought I'd throw some pics up of the history of this car...

The car was originally bought in NC I believe and brought to California, after 1 year the second owner purchased it and was in their family until I bought it last year from his daughter. By 1982 the car needed some TLC and he did some chrome plating and body work, here are some of the pics at that time.

post-94540-143142836663_thumb.jpg

post-94540-143142836647_thumb.jpg

post-94540-143142836656_thumb.jpg

Guest 1950_Buick

This car appeared in two movies.

The first movie this car was in was "Shadow of a Doubt" a made for TV movie released in 1991. Here are some of the articles on the movie...

post-94540-143142836795_thumb.jpg

post-94540-143142836769_thumb.jpg

post-94540-143142836779_thumb.jpg

Guest 1950_Buick

Letter to previous owner regarding the movie and the check stub for commission payment to use the car in the movie "Inventing the Abbotts"

post-94540-143142836926_thumb.jpg

post-94540-1431428369_thumb.jpg

Guest 1950_Buick
Cool background history on the car!

Nothing against the car, but the plate would not have been period correct in the "Shadow of a Doubt" scene. A good set director should have spotted that.

That's funny, as it clearly the plate the Shadow of a Doubt movie people put on it for the movie, removing the black Cali plate that the car has.

Guest 1950_Buick
OK. I was just going from the only picture that has the plate visible, which appears to be the California black plate. Pic must have been taken before they replaced it.

sorry, i was thinking the other movie pic, inventing the abbotts.

you may be right, seeing it was a made for tv movie, maybe their continuity people weren't that good!?

Or maybe it's not noticeable in the take that was used. I worked in a film a few years ago, "Leatherheads", that was placed in 1925. The directors were fanatical about period correctness for most of the props and wardrobe. But there were scenes with a lot of '20s cars where some things on the cars themselves were incorrect. I think they count on most people not being able to spot those inconsistencies, or that the camera doesn't dwell on them long enough to pick them out.

Unfortunately my time in the film industry has ruined me for watching, as I can't help but pick every scene apart instead of just enjoying the film. :P

Guest 1950_Buick
Did you change the master cylinder? If so, what type did you use? What was the bore size?

Pat

No I didn't change the master cylinder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Kevin Borich

Hi Guys - Love the Buicks - I'm a new owner of a 1950 Special Sedanette - some say its a Jet or Fastback - Love the look of Dale's and what you're doing to it mate.

Mine needs some work - I'm looking for a rear Bumper Bar - Chrome - I think they're called Fenders in the U.S.A. - any Idea's where I can Get one.

Cheers to All from me - kev in QLD Australia

Guest Kevin Borich

Hi Dale - I'm a "Down Here" guy -> Queensland Australia - I was salivating over

your Buick and in awe of your restoration as I was in search mode for rear Bumper

and overiders on my Fastback that's in need of some restoration. Trolly around

I saw your Facebook page with extensive photo coverage of all your amazing refits

V8 etc - I don't have the capacity to go that far - just would like it to drive

smother = steering- maybe brakes -- was that your facebook page? tried to have another

look the next day but it wouldn't come up - have you taken it down?

Kev in Queensland Australia

Guest 1950_Buick

Thanks for the compliments. Probably was my Facebook page and it's still up. (see my signature line at the bottom of my posts)

There are some cheaper ways to do steering and brakes - if you check ebay there are some kits you can get. A high quality hub to hub mustang ifs is from jw rod garage at the best price out there that is US made (not chinese crap). Go to http://jwrodgarage.com/speciality.html - the 1939-51 GM, "B" as in Buick, P (pontiac) and O (Oldsmobile) for $1,795 and you can upgrade the steering rack to power steering for $100 more.

It's a great option.

They also give you the instructions on installing it - http://jwrodgarage.com/tech/38-53%20Buick%20JWRG%20M2%20Instruction%20Sheet.pdf

Obviously it will cost more than the $50 for shipping to Aussie... but they are great guys to work with and I'm guessing they will probably help you out.

Edited by 1950_Buick (see edit history)

Guest Kevin Borich

Mighty nice of you for taking time to word me up about on those kits. - I may knock on your experience for info from time to time.

I'm a pro Musician down here, so mechanical talent isn't my game, but have the love for that Fastback - to have it so its

not such an effort to drive is my intention - All the Best. kevin Borich

• 4 months later...
Guest 1950_Buick

Testing the travel on the Bags with the angle of the driveshaft (Slam Specialities Bags SSF6, 8" bags)

post-136751-0-08422700-1437328359_thumb.

post-136751-0-05777700-1437328367_thumb.

Guest 1950_Buick

Had to rework the plates for the bags... wasn't happy as I noticed some flex, out with the old in with the new.

post-136751-0-80252100-1437760354_thumb.

post-136751-0-99309900-1437760367_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1950_Buick

Ford 9" is in with 4-link, custom driveshaft hoop has been added that'll work with the airbag system, and first part of the frame is boxed now to start on the front end.

post-136751-0-01676700-1438827553_thumb.

post-136751-0-94593000-1438827561_thumb.

Cool car!

There are pro's using the Scarebird vs Wilwood: Refurbish costs. They're off the shelf, as where Wilwood is more expensive. Furthermore, Wilwood makes great racing brakes but not all are good on the road (omitted dust seals). Why did you choose to swap the L8? Probably power & efficiency, right? :) 

Guest 1950_Buick

Cool car!

There are pro's using the Scarebird vs Wilwood: Refurbish costs. They're off the shelf, as where Wilwood is more expensive. Furthermore, Wilwood makes great racing brakes but not all are good on the road (omitted dust seals). Why did you choose to swap the L8? Probably power & efficiency, right? :)

Thanks!

I hear ya on the tradeoffs i.e. scarebird vs wilwood.

As for why I chose to swap the engine as well as upgrade suspension, is while I appreciate the value of keeping a car original, and respect those views of those who adhere to that, my dad being one of them, my view is a little different. I love the styling and look of the 1950 sedanette and want to maintain the integrity of the look, both interior and exterior, however, I want this as my daily driver. The car's performance was designed for road and driving conditions of 60+ years ago and not today. Therefore, that is what I want and I figure, hell if you are going to upgrade the engine, you might as well make it a serious upgrade! So in essence, I want to keep this car a long time and therefore want the driveline/suspension to be fit for today and tomorrows demands I will put on the vehicle.

Edited by 1950_Buick (see edit history)