1950 Buick Special Sedanette

Guest 1950_Buick

Guest Peter Bird

If happiness came in a bottle it would have a picture of a 50 Sedanette on the label. She's a beauty!

Guest 1950_Buick
That is a beautiful car. Same color as my 49 Super. What do you know about the paint? Is that original or a re-paint? Post some more pictures for us to slobber over.

Dan

No it's not original paint, and not the original color. The paint job as you can see looks good in the pics, but up close there are some major flaws. I will eventually repaint glossy jet black.

The interior is a ok, not gutted but not pristine... livable for now.

This is the look I'm going for...

post-94540-143141952688_thumb.jpg

Guest 1950_Buick

The car hasn't run since '96.

We filed the points, put some gas in the tank and squirted some carb cleaner and got it running.

Guest Rob McDonald

What a beauty! It's great how we sometimes change. I used to thing a '50 Buick was the most ridiculous car since Roger Rabbit's roadster. Now I think they're terrific, although I'm a sucker for any sedanette. I like the little guy now, too.

post-59990-143141954191_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1950_Buick
Did you use new roller bearings on those rotors? Or the ball bearings?

tapered roller bearings

scarebird on ebay has the conversion kit

Edited by 1950_Buick (see edit history)

Guest 1950_Buick
I think this is a smart move. Doing the same to my 49 Super but I'm using the Wilwood conversion.

I wish I had the money for the Wilwood conversion kit, that's a nice setup, but I have big spends coming up on my project, so had to save my pennies and go with the scare bird kit.

I agree with you, I know some guys like everything original, but I'm not one of them and disc brakes on this huge piece of iron are a good spend.

Guest 1950_Buick
What are the differences in the two kits?

Ben

Apart from the Wilwood kit being an awesome setup?

Well the Wilwood kit is a complete kit, i.e. it contains the rotors and those awesome calipers and pads as well as the conversion kit components - but doesn't include the brake lines (they have a braided steel brake line kit for the setup as well)

The cost of the brake kit is $784 and the braided brake line kit is $78, for a total of say $860 (a fair cost for the setup you are getting)

Wilwood High-Performance Disc Brakes - 1950 Buick Special All

Wilwood High-Performance Disc Brakes - Flexline No: 220-12296

The scarebird kit is only a conversion kit and does not include rotors, pads, calipers and the first brake lines.

The kit cost is $195

My cost on the rotors, calipers, first brake lines (not steel braided) and pads were $200 (my son has a trade account at O'Reillys, so I got this much less than retail)

So my total cost was say $400, less than half the price

Buick Super 46 47 48 49 50 Front Disc Brake Conversion | eBay

Both prices are fair and reflect the value you get, I really would have preferred the Wilwood setup, but right now $460 is $460 to go towards other things

If I read this right, the common man on the street would NOT get this big savings, and even with the big savings you are saying you would have preferred the Wilwoods kit.

Sure the savings can be used for other things, but why do you feel you would have PREFERRED Wilwoods products?

There must be a reason you feel this way?

Just wondering.

Dale in Indy

Didn't those KNEE ACTION shocks fail a lot? I just remember seeing/riding in so many Buicks in the 40's that BOUNCED, and BOUNCED. As a kid we travelled from Normal, IL to Indy often in our Buick's and old R28 was full of short hills, or mounds, and wow, what a thrill to go over them with weak shocks.

Have rebuilts, and rebuild kits improved such?

Don't take me wrong, I LOVE MY BUICK'S.

Dale in Indy

Very cool car, love that fastback! I too thought that '50 Buicks were pretty strange looking when I first saw them in pictures in 70 Years of Buick, which I bought in the mid 70's. Now though, I rather like them, and would buy one if I had the chance.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest 1950_Buick
If I read this right, the common man on the street would NOT get this big savings, and even with the big savings you are saying you would have preferred the Wilwoods kit.

Sure the savings can be used for other things, but why do you feel you would have PREFERRED Wilwoods products?

There must be a reason you feel this way?

Just wondering.

Dale in Indy

It's a much better kit, heavier duty and not so cobbled together. you can stop a tank with the wilwood setup.

as for better pricing for me, sure, but if you hunt on ebay, probably can achieve the same pricing

Guest 1950_Buick
Just razzing here. Please forgive me Dan.

You have disc brakes with knee-action shocks?

Don't get me wrong, I get it. It's just kinda funny.

i know i know

but i had to start somewhere... it's being bagged

Guest 1950_Buick
Very nice !! Was this the one that was an estate sale ?? I was hoping to see someone get it.

Do the stock wheels clear the calipers ok ?? And what about the Wilwood's ?? Will they clear a stock rim ??

yes this was the one that was an estate sale, or sort of a quasi estate sale. they were trying to sell this for some time I guess. My son found it and worked a price for me that i couldn't pass up

and yes the calipers had a slight grind on the stock rim, as they said it might.... an easy fix though

Guest 1950_Buick

Picked up a great deal on some H beam connecting rods (6.125)

originally "engle" rods, were put aside before they were bought out by "eagle" and before they stamped them.

post-94540-143142126191_thumb.jpg

post-94540-143142126169_thumb.jpg

post-94540-14314212618_thumb.jpg

Guest 1950_Buick

more parts have arrived for the engine build

bearings, rod bolts, and the sexy pistons

pic of the donor engine for the block and crank, 5.3 out of a suburban, will bore out to a 5.7 (was going to use the LS1, but sold it for some cash and had this as a freebee)

post-94540-14314213965_thumb.jpg

post-94540-143142139624_thumb.jpg

post-94540-143142139629_thumb.jpg

post-94540-143142139641_thumb.jpg

post-94540-143142139644_thumb.jpg

post-94540-143142139646_thumb.jpg

Guest 1950_Buick
Thanks for the info on the wildwood brakes... Can you elaborate on what you had to grind for clearance issues.

also I sent you a message.

just a little grind to the outside of the calipers, ymmv depends on your stock rims, they may or may not grind

• 1 month later...
Guest ole buick

What a nice Parade car. Really is a fantastic grill. Can you imagine; it's Sept. 49, you look up and see this BUICK in your rear view mirror, coming up on you at a high rate of speed. You wouldn't know if it was going to eat your car or simply pass. What a relief when it pulls out to go around!

I love your ride!

Just a FYI on your Sedanette. For 1950 Buick calls them a Tourback for Roadmaster and Jetback for the Special. Chevrolet calls these fastbacks Styleline, and Pontiac calls them Streamliners. Olds calls them the Club sedans while Cadillac drops them altogether.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

What a nice Parade car. Really is a fantastic grill. Can you imagine; it's Sept. 49, you look up and see this BUICK in your rear view mirror, coming up on you at a high rate of speed. You wouldn't know if it was going to eat your car or simply pass. What a relief when it pulls out to go around!

I love your ride!

Special 46S, Super 56S and Roadmaster 76S Sedanettes including the Special 4 door sedan model 43 for 1950 and 1951 were officially designated by Buick as Jetback!

post-31244-143142196962_thumb.jpg

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Special 46S, Super 56S and Roadmaster 76S Sedanettes including the Special 4 door sedan model 43 for 1950 and 1951 were officially designated by Buick as Jetback!

I stand reproved. The 1950 Sedanette Buicks are all called Jetback.