Late 1930's Car Jack - LOOKS DANGEROUS

Wowabunga

• 2 months later...

Bumper jacks as I have only heard them called have been around a long time in one form or another. Your example with a screw adjustment is just one style of the same theme. These jacks were used well into the 1970's depending on the vehicle. Newer versions have a latch mechanism. Here is a picture of a newer style that I believe goes to a late 60's or early 70's GM car.

post-44099-143142167454_thumb.jpg

These bumper jacks were dangerous and prone to falling. On occasion we used to take advantage of that fact when trying to extricate a car that was stuck in the snow/mud. By jacking up the car to its full extension and pushing the car (without much effort) off the jack, it would move laterally into a new position and then possibly be free.

That screw type bumper jack doesn't look more dangerous than the later ratcheting type. Not that I'd trust either.

michaelod mentioned on reasonable use for them. Another one is to break the bead on a tire, just place the wheel and tire assembly on the ground under the bumper, put the jack on it and attempt to jack up the car. Generally the bead will pop before the car gets too high.

That screw type bumper jack doesn't look more dangerous than the later ratcheting type. Not that I'd trust either.

michaelod mentioned on reasonable use for them. Another one is to break the bead on a tire, just place the wheel and tire assembly on the ground under the bumper, put the jack on it and attempt to jack up the car. Generally the bead will pop before the car gets too high.

I broke many a bead loose in the '50's and '60's using a bumper jack. It was a simple and quick acting remedy to a sticky problem.

• 1 year later...