'55 St. Regis Starter Relay

Guest Sig556

Guest Sig556

Update and question.

I got the '55 home, cleaned out the gas tank and fuel lines, rehabed the fuel pump, installed 2 new inline fuel filters, replaced the oil & filter, MMO into the cylinders, repalced the plugs, rehabed ignition cylinder wires & replaced the lock cylinder (had no keys), hand cranked the engine and she turned.

Checked all the fluids and connections, hooked up battery, got lights on the dash when I turned the ignition switch. Tried to start, nothing. Fiddled with the additinal wire that appeared to be hooked to battery (no batt when I purchased), got it to crank. Wouldn't start, cranked all day long, but wouldnt fire. Checked plugs, no spark. checked coil, no spark.

Came back a few days later to trouble shoot, & determined I need to rehab the many of the engine wiring - working on that now. Also determined the starter relay on the inner fender is bad. Pulled it apart and one of the post wire is broken off. The plastic shim/spacer is cracked; bottom line, would like to replace the starter relay.

Questions:

1) This is a positvie ground, 6 volt system with a 5.4L, 331 ci hemi. Does anyone have a good substitute for the original relay? Found two on line but at $350 plus I know there are other options. Heard 6 volt Ford tractor relay should work - at $15, I like this alot better. Do I need a four post or three post starter relay? 55 relay as a large batter post in the middle, then 3 smaller posts at the top of the relay labled for starter, ignition, & armatuer (sp). I also believe on of the posts is for the nuetral safety switch. Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

2) When we cranked the engine, I got oil on the ground mixed with water. I know my water neck is rotted and the upper and lower hoses are not connected well; I suspect that is the culprit. I checked the oil after we were done and there appears to be no water in the oil, so I believe they are not coming out mixed. I have not traced to point of origin, but know the oil is not from the oil pan plug, I did check that.

I suspect it may be from teh oil filter because we had a heck of a time getting that back in place. Is there a trick to installing the oil filter? I've got big hands and trying to reach it from the bottom is difficult, and the placement on the back of the block is difficult to reach also. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

B.B.

You may want to check the oil filter gasket again. They are a bear to get right. Also check to see if you have too many gaskets. Sometimes one is left on there by mistake. Been there, done that.