MICHIGAN Proposed Vintage License Fee Significant Increase

CarFreak

Michigan antique, vintage, Classic, special interest, firetruck, military, hot rod, modified vehicle owners need to contact their State Reps and voice their opinion AGAINST this legislation!!!!

"Rep. Mike McCready, R-Bloomfield Hills, is sponsoring one of the bills that would hike registration fees for

antique vehicles from $30 every 10 years to $100 every five years and authentic or classic cars from a $35 lifetime fee to $100 every five years."

Link to the article @ DetNews.com State House committee crafting bills to raise registration fees for road repairs | The Detroit News

Find your Michigan State Representative: Michigan House of Representatives

PLEASE SHARE WITH OTHER MICHIGAN CAR CLUBS & VINTAGE CAR OWNERS!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Below is an example of what one car owner sent to his Rep.

George,

As my Representative, I expect you to stop any proposal that would affect my current lifetime antique vehicle registration. I paid for my $30 lifetime registration many years ago so that the State of Michigan would have the extra dollars for its use then and into the future. I fully expect you, as my representative, and the State of Michigan to uphold its commitment. I will certainly communicate your actions in this matter to a wide variety of registered voting friends and associates that will affect your future.

John Reid

xxxx Marquette, Dearborn, Michigan, 48124

(313) xxx-xxxx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Road bills target hybrid, antique autos for fee hikes

BY CHAD LIVENGOOD Detroit News Lansing Bureau

Lansing — A package of bills seeking to generate an extra $200 million annually in state vehicle registration revenue would force owners of newer vehicles, hybrid and electric cars, farm trucks, motorcycles and classic cars to pay more to use the roads.

The House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee is crafting legislation to overhaul registration fees as part of an effort to raise at least $1.2 billion more annually for road repairs.

The biggest change would slow the depreciation rate for new vehicles, said Rep. Wayne Schmidt, committee chairman, R-Traverse City.

Rep. Mike McCready, R-Bloomfield Hills, is sponsoring one of the bills that would hike registration fees for antique vehicles from $30 every 10 years to $100 every five years and authentic or classic cars from a $35 lifetime fee to $100 every five years.

McCready also proposes hiking registration fees for seasonal farm trucks from $20 to $200.

“If a grower’s only using a truck that sits in the barn nine months of the year, I don’t believe there’s the same level of impact of a vehicle that’s on the road 12 months a year,” said Matthew Smego, legislative counsel for the Michigan Farm Bureau.

“We still have to maintain that road all year round,” McCready said.

Schmidt proposes hybrid and electric car owners pay fees of $25 and $75. Brian O’Connell, a lobbyist for General Motors Co., said that runs counter to the state’s clean air initiatives.

Rep. Marilyn Lane, D-Fraser, said roads can’t differentiate between gas and electric vehicles.