56 Special 4 door (couldn't pass up cause price was right)

I got my package today. Will open tomorrow. Raining and not planning on getting wet to clean/install ashtrays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great. As for cleaning them, I would suggest several ideas. I would try hitting it first with road tar and bug remover.Obviously disposable cloths are in order. After that I would use some WD 40 to try and remove anything left untouched. Then I might use dish soap and hot water before polishing with some metal or chrome polish. The black one came from the Buick. The chrome one came from the Chevy. Just check the bottom of the pocket to make sure they are solid before going too far.

Let us know how they turn out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had to park the car last week because my master cylinder started to fail. I have it off the car and apart and have been searching aimlessly for seals. I really did NOT want to pay $450.00 for it to be rebuilt. I managed to get seals for it ordered today and hope to have it back together by Thursday next week. :)

I had to have the one on my '56 rebuilt last year, and the shaft in the booster had gone bad, as well as a few other things, so I had it done, for $500., a bit steep, without it you can't drive the car! If it just needed the seals, I would of done it myself, but it needed the whole 9 yards.

Keith

I had mine rebuilt in the 80's. Can't remember the place or exact year but do recall it cost $300 + and it was to California. I sent mine out cause the fluid was leaking out of the system. I did not see any obvious leaks from the back of the tires so I assumed it was leaking from the MC, and just lost in the mix of other leaks at the time. After I got it back it appeared the reservoir was still leaking, so just the reservoir made two more trips to California. When it came back the 2nd time I was told the unit was tested up to some high pressure which I also can't recall. Damn age. But to cut to the point, after it leaked yet again then I started to pull the drums and found the leaking wheel cylinder.

I ordered a rebuild kit from Apple hydraulics. Not only do they rebuild these, they will also sell you a kit for us do-it-yourselfers! Was under a hundred bucks with shipping. The kits at this moment have the two seals, springs, snap ring and freeze plug. My plunger shaft was ok, but later this year, their kit will include the shaft also. A tip for rebuilders, before assembly of the bottom section to the top, fill the bottom reservoir with brake fluid. Makes bleeding easier.

Have a BIG Fathers Day show tomorrow. Paint touchup today and a good bath and waxing tonight. Just got done and I'm beat. Hope everyone enjoys their fathers day. If you still have your Dad around, do something special for him and hug him for me.......I miss mine terribly!

My family gave me a really good Father's Day, though my Dad has been gone only a few years, I wish that he was still here too!

So, now Father's Day is rather bittersweet, like Mother's Day has been.

Sorry to be a downer, Matt!

Glad to see you're making steady progress on the '56!

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Pulled the bumper off today and cleaned things up best as I could. Wire brushed the metal behind the bumper and painted black for protection, more than anything else.

2bd937353a6e1994d4d162c8456a4b19.jpg

6230960ef0a85c2a1218042568f1f3bb.jpg

Took off the eyebrows and cleaned/ waxed the bumper parts that never see the sun. Put it back together and......

3792d7e794f7e44677719462ed3aca3c.jpg

Back on the car. Will have to adjust the eyebrows a little as they are a little too far from the fender.

100% improvement! Period chrome!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok. Carb should be back Tuesday afternoon. Meanwhile, I ripped out the old carpet and found........RUST in the drivers floor pan. Not to worry, walk in the park after the extensive work on my 47' convertible.

2a16bf08118c667c0a5178e477362acb.jpg

Primed the floors red again and installed sound deadener.

9771032c4f4d9266e478f37d588e415d.jpg

Working the rear carpet set in place.

c1a8d1cf1739004ed5af298647ec3b70.jpg

Will take more pictures after door sills are reinstalled.

New fuel pump is on also. Ordering paint to tidy up the engine and manifolds a bit. But, that won't keep me from driving her.

Matt