Interesting concept at the Carlisle Meet.

Shop Rat

At a previous Meet the judging teams were larger, seven members if possible, and two judges were to point judge only the vehicles going for a Preservation or Repeat Preservation Award. The Team Captain assigns those two judges.

On my team I was short one judge out of the seven due to a judge not being able to attend. So I judged Exteriors as well as being the Team Captain. Due to a no show that was going for it's First Junior my three person team and I judged only four vehicles. The two judges that judged the Preservation and Repeat Preservation vehicles ended up point judging eleven vehicles. Nearly three times what my team and I judged. That hardly seems fair. It was 94 degrees, humid and sunny all day. My team and I had to wait for about twenty minutes for the guys to finish. Again, hardly fair since we could sit in the shade with a nice breeze blowing while the guys were still on the show field.

I was lucky, the two guys that agreed to judge the Preservation and Repeat Preservation vehicles were both high credit judges and both had previously served as Team Captains and I knew both of them having had them on my teams before. So I could send them out together to judge and not worry about the job that they would do. I know their work and they are both good judges.

I can't imagine trying to do the judging this way with an inexperienced team and having it work well.

All of my judges suggested it would be better to have five person teams that just judge the Preservation and Repeat Preservation vehicles rather than split a team up on the show field and make part of the team wait on the other part of the team.

If you judged at one of the Meets where this was done, what was your experience and what are your thoughts about it?

• 2 weeks later...

We also had only 2 judges.It was late,around 12:30,and we were amongst the last in our class(HPOF Orignal) to be evaluated.We waited around the car all morning for the evaluation.They spent perhaps 2 minutes under the hood looked at 1 door and told us that a dent from 1966 should be fixed and moved on.I will not be hanging around my car at future shows,I want to see the other cars,so I guess a half hearted evaluation is just not that important to me

We also had only 2 judges.It was late,around 12:30,and we were amongst the last in our class(HPOF Orignal) to be evaluated.We waited around the car all morning for the evaluation.They spent perhaps 2 minutes under the hood looked at 1 door and told us that a dent from 1966 should be fixed and moved on.I will not be hanging around my car at future shows,I want to see the other cars,so I guess a half hearted evaluation is just not that important to me

Owners do not have to stay with their vehicles. It is nice if they do incase the Team Captain needs to ask a question.

But do yourself and your vehicle/vehicles a favor. Before you leave make sure that the windshield card that has your information, your vehicles information and entry number is either under a windshield wiper or on your dashboard where it can be seen. Judges and Team Captains use that information to verify that the information on the judging sheet you have is for the vehicle your brought. Yes, I have found errors and forms that didn't match. That information is also used to identify your vehicle/vehicles on the main judging sheet that all the vehicles are listed on. Leave the judging sheet that comes with the windshield card either on the dash or on the driver's seat where the team can find it. We will not open your glove box or center console to find it.

Also, make sure that you leave the fully charged fire extinguisher in a place where we can easily find it. Many owners opt to place it against the front of the driver side tire. Or in the floorboard of the passenger seat area. Vehicles that do not have a fully charged fire extinguisher with them are disqualified and not judged.

You must also raise the hood/hoods and the trunk for the judges to judge those areas. If you walk away and you have left the hood/hoods down and/or the trunk lid down you will loose LOTS of points.

And, please leave your windows rolled up. Leaving them down a little bit for heat to escape is fine. But the majority of the window should be visible to be judged. Windows that are down are deducted for as if they are missing, all three points per window will be deducted for windows that are left down.

If your vehicle has unique features that have been questioned in the past please do stick around to answer any questions and show the Team Captain documentation for questioned items. The burden of proof is on the owner not on the judging team.