1939 Studebaker Commander removal of top suspension arm bolt

Guest STrallying

Guest STrallying

Hi,

Can anyone shed light on the best way to remove the top bolt without shearing it off....

I would use my impact wrench on that. It was the tool of choice when I did my 41 front suspension. If you don't have one and if you are replacing the rubber try heat and patience. It might be easier if you take the mounting braket and arm off together then work on the stubborn bolt on a bench. Looks like a very rust-free car!

Is that picture flipped or is that a RHD car? I just realized I was looking at the steering box there...

Nathan

Guest STrallying

It is a right handdrive as I am in New Zealand. Sheared the bolt in the end, but have a spares car which had the whole unit swapped onto this one, the spares car had the original arms for this car fitted as I think someone in the past had the same problem, bur the top outer bush slops about big time which is why I guess they were swapped over.

So I have drifted out the pin in the top outer, will have to push out the brass bushes and get new ones from somewhere, I am hoping that Studebaker Int n'tl will have these. Next job is to order the rubber bushes for the top inner and new pins. She appears to be a late Commander from what I can make out. Gonna have a look at another one in bits next weekend, as if I don't have enough to do with one and a half cars!!!

will have to push out the brass bushes and get new ones from somewhere.

If you give me part numbers of the needed parts , I can check my stock.

I have a large stock of parts from that era.

I bought out the parts inventories from 28 Studebaker dealers as a retirement project.

I have inventoried 23.000 part numbers.

I have shipped parts to all corners of the globe.

I am old and slow so please have patience.

Robert Kapteyn

Guest STrallying
will have to push out the brass bushes and get new ones from somewhere.

If you give me part numbers of the needed parts , I can check my stock.

I have a large stock of parts from that era.

I bought out the parts inventories from 28 Studebaker dealers as a retirement project.

I have inventoried 23.000 part numbers.

I have shipped parts to all corners of the globe.

I am old and slow so please have patience.

Robert Kapteyn

Hi Robert,

Thanks fro replying, great to have help from folk on this forum.

Upper outer A arm pin 195897 2nr

Upper outer A arm bushes 4nr, these are brass bushes and I am unsure of the part numbers as they don't appear to be listed on the Intn'l site other than rubber bushes with number 194347 which is clearly not correct???post-93707-143141926983_thumb.jpg

Appreciate your help

Steve

post-93707-143141926975_thumb.jpg

Guest stude8
Hi Robert,

Thanks fro replying, great to have help from folk on this forum.

Upper outer A arm pin 195897 2nr

Upper outer A arm bushes 4nr, these are brass bushes and I am unsure of the part numbers as they don't appear to be listed on the Intn'l site other than rubber bushes with number 194347 which is clearly not correct???[ATTACH=CONFIG]195982[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]195983[/ATTACH]

Appreciate your help

Steve

Steve

Just to help out here I can't locate data about a 1939 Studebaker Commander, in my chassis parts catalog [All eights 1929-1940] ? The last Commander listed is 1935 model 1B.

The 1939 President model 5C used the planar suspension in front (chapter M, plate 53 on page 302)

What is the serial number of the car you are working on? Maybe it is a six cylinder model not listed in the Eights catalog?

John Shanahan

Guest STrallying

Hi John,

Have managed to get a bit more info over the last few days, she is a late 1939 Commander with serial number 4115678.

Have just had a Chassis parts catalog arrive at home for 1934-1946, so will be giving that a good look through at the weekend.

Slowly getting info and help from folk on here which is really great.

Gonna be a slow resto I feel as I only get to work on her at the weekends when I go home from Christchurch to Tauranga, different islands....

Guest stude8
Hi John,

Have managed to get a bit more info over the last few days, she is a late 1939 Commander with serial number 4115678.

Have just had a Chassis parts catalog arrive at home for 1934-1946, so will be giving that a good look through at the weekend.

Slowly getting info and help from folk on here which is really great.

Gonna be a slow resto I feel as I only get to work on her at the weekends when I go home from Christchurch to Tauranga, different islands....

Steve

The serial number definitely identifies it as a 1939 Model 9A Commander six cylinder car. That information will help parts suppliers when hunting down parts for it here in the USA for sure.

If you can find the Studebaker part numbers you require in the Chassis parts catalog you now have communicate with Robert Kapteyn in Joliet, Illinois. He has a 4 story warehouse filled with early parts of that era.

John Shanahan (Stude8)

If you can find the Studebaker part numbers you require in the Chassis parts catalog you now have communicate with Robert Kapteyn in Joliet, Illinois. He has a 4 story warehouse filled with early parts of that era.

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

My wife was in the hospital and I did not go to the shop.

I do not have these bolts but they show in the old Sasco inventory that was bought by Studebaker International.

Robert Kapteyn

• 7 months later...

Hey STrallying, I am in Tauranga and have a '39 CE. PM me! I have done (in the '90s) the front suspension on mine and may have some spares for them. I think I had new pins made to fit and the shop fitted the brass bushes as well. I also had to make some of the rubber bushes, but I expect they are available now.

• 9 months later...