best way to elimanate knee actions shocks

Guest poorboyzhotrodz

Guest poorboyzhotrodz

I have a 53 buick special that im restoring and considering subframing to elimate the knee action shocks and to gain powersteering and disc brakes I have been told that you can use 55 buick upper control arms to elimante the knee shocks don't know if this is true any ideas and suggestions really appreciated after all that said yes i'm gonna be installing a slightly built 350 into it trying to figure my best way to go thanks

Guest 54fins

The problem you have is once you start redoing the front end, you may as well subframe the front end for rack and pinion. Plus you will gain some room. There is rarely a simple way to upgrade a 50's car. You will be buying spindles, disks, control arms etc and then you will have a tough time with springs and still have poor steering column. Perhaps this photo can help

post-74392-143141930503_thumb.jpg

post-74392-143141930529_thumb.jpg

Guest 54fins

Mine is in process and I will be posting. Take a look at the 57 Buick build, he is doing a 1st class job using a C4 front end (4th gen Corvette) I'm using a hot rod rack and pinion, because they are simple. The 53 tends to be a little bit of a bastard year with the front lever shocks. If you do anything, do post as it will be interesting.

Guest poorboyzhotrodz

yeah that's what I been thinking of doing just sub frame and get it over with thanks

Guest 54fins

and there you have it, the best way to upgrade knee action shocks- The whole deal was about $600 for the riv rear end, coil overs and links. keep in mind that when the torque tube goes you need an open drive shaft, so now you have to add in a 425 with a SP400 tranny, a new front end so there is a bit more to it. The front end is a hot rod kit. As for a quick and simple tack on, there really isn't a simple solution. The 53 front end doesn't easily lend itself to adding shocks. For all the work it's easier just to build a frame. If you can DIY, you will be in for 3 to 5K in parts. If you go to a shop, the frame itself isn't that big a job but the disassembly of the frame, modifications and additional costs you could figure 10 to 20K depending on how much you can do yourself. If you don't have a spare frame, then the body has to be stored. Buicks just don't have the aftermarket and some additional issues that make upgrades more of an all or nothing proposition. If you can't go all in, then you may want to consider going for all original.

post-74392-143141946738_thumb.jpg

post-74392-143141947941_thumb.jpg

Edited by 54fins (see edit history)