1960 buick invicta rear end swap

Guest rocket8

Guest rocket8

so, ive done a bit of research on converting my 1960 invicta to open drive, so i can eliminate the whole torque tube etc. ive got a 1966 buick wildcat parts car that i plan to use the rear end and driveshaft out of, i also have a st400 out of a 64 riviera. the biggest question i have is what to do about the rest of the suspension in the rear. trailing arms,panhard bar, coils etc....has anyone done a similar swap? ive read afew of the other posts on here that are similar but nothing is hitting too close to home...any help would be appreciated! -max

I think the easiest way would be to find a 61-64 drop out to bolt into your 60' housing and leave your original suspension alone unless you want to re engineer the rear of the car. The 66' Wildcat parts car will help with all the other stuff. I know that the 60' is a X frame and the 66' has a triangulated 4-link rear but I am not familiar with how that may fit the 60 X frame. It may work pretty good just by adding a cross member for the upper control arms and making a mount for the lowers to the frame. I have a 57' parts car that someone put the open drop out in the stock rear housing if your interested. Post some pics. Where are you located?

If you want to use the original housing and axle shafts, you will need to use a 1961-1962 open drive center section because of the axle shaft spline count:

1937 10 spline axles (Series 80 and 90)

1937-1955 12 spline axles (Series 40, 50, 60, and 70)

1938-1942 13 spline axles (Series 80 and 90)

1956-1962 33 spline axles

1963-1970 30 spline axles

1971-1976 31 spline axles

Russ Martin sells a torque tube elimination kit that you could use:

Drive Line And Differential |

Here is some info from Russ:

Transmission Swaps & Modifications |

Edited by sean1997 (see edit history)