Need help to identify old car

Guest Morel

Guest Morel

We recently found this photograph of our father's first car. Can anyone help us identifying what it is? This car was on the road in Canada, in the early '30s.

Many thanks

post-93711-143141917739_thumb.jpg

Edited by Morel (see edit history)

Guest Morel
If it helps any, this is a picture if my 1930 Dictator untouched. Virgil[ATTACH=CONFIG]194991[/ATTACH]

Well, it seems you have many busy week-ends in front of you.

However, looking closely at your picture I notice that your bumper is similar to my father's, while on the picture from the other Dictator found on the web it's different. Is it from different Dictator models, or different years? I also notice that your radiator is different, with no logo and no center division. Could it be a difference between Canadian and American models?

My intention with this picture is to have it mounted in a frame with, if possible, a plate with the name and year of the car. Can I be sure it's a 1930 model?

Guest Morel
I think Fleek has it. 1931 Studebaker model 54 with a front bumper from a 1930 Studebaker and aftermarket sealed beam headlight bar (circa 1940 or later). It sure was a warrior! :)

Chuck

I didn't expect to find out that the car was such a puzzle, nor that I would find such highly specialized experts. You really amaze me! But just one question : as I read that a Studebaker plant in Canada was producing cars for that market, could there have been some minor differences between the Canadian and American models?

That might be a possibility. I know GM and Ford both mixed and matched models in the Canadian market, but I do not know about Studebaker. I tend to believe the car in question may have had some damage at some time and they used whatever was avaliable to get it on the road. Very common practice, and the car must have been several years old for the sealed beams to be installed..

Morel - "The Studebaker factory opened in 1948 and closed in 1966 — three years after the company’s headquarters in South Bend, Ind. shut down. The Hamilton building has been coming down in bits and pieces for some time." Last call for the Studebaker on Mars

From this article, I deduce that a the 1930 model would fall out of the country differential theory. This article also supports my rebuff to your thoughts. http://thehamiltonchaptersdc.ca/SDC%20Handout.pdf

I hope this helps answer your questions Morel. Thanks for letting us learn from your picture.

Chuck

• 1 year later...

Studebaker made many changes to the specification of their cars in this era and models almost never ran for a full season. I think this one is a Dictator Eight from late 1930 when the Dictator still had round headlights on a cross bar. They changed to oval lights with no cross bar soon after. The front bumper is the same as the one on my 1928/9 third series Dictator GE. From what I can work out the Model 54 body styling was different. There is a pic on ebay - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1931-Studebaker-Dictator-Eight-Regal-Sedan-pool-Factory-Photo-Ref-90870-/130675238991 The radiator has less of a vee than the true 1931 cars. Another one here - http://www.pipestoneflyer.ca/Article.asp?id=4207 Notice that the car in pvstudebak's garage has the hood louvres in groups - that is a 1929/30 Dictator GL six.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Thi is a picture of my great grandmother driving.  It was taken in Albania probably between 1930 - 35. I'm renovating her old house and would love to get this car as an exibition piece once all is in place. First i need help recognising it though. Any hint or help would be greatly welcome.

Kind regards

Ilir Jorgo

SmartSelect_20211208-140226_WhatsApp.jpg

13 minutes ago, Ilir Jorgo said:

Thi is a picture of my great grandmother driving.  It was taken in Albania probably between 1930 - 35. I'm renovating her old house and would love to get this car as an exibition piece once all is in place. First i need help recognising it though. Any hint or help would be greatly welcome.

Kind regards

Ilir Jorgo

SmartSelect_20211208-140226_WhatsApp.jpg

I answered you in your other thread.   We should probably stay over there.   1936 lancia astura