1957 Thunderbird Power Steering Pump Mounting Question

Guest JonV

Guest JonV

On my 1957 thunderbird, someone in the past used flat washers to shim out the power steering pump to line up the pulley. It works fine but I do not like the way it looks.

Any one have a picture of what the spacers should look like or a link to the correct spacers?

Jon

Guest DonnerVogel567

Normally, there are no shims used to line up the P/S pulley with the crankshaft pulley. I suspect you may have a '57 Ford Passenger car P/S pump, which does require the use of four or five

washer/shims. If this is the case, the P/S pulley may be different too. The "Thunderbird Restoration Manual", available from CTCI has numerous engine pictures with power steering.

Bob Hartig

McLean, VA 57D & 57E

Jon, according to the Ford parts book there are two types of washers used, a 3/8" flat washer and a 13/32" flat washer. If everything is aligned correctly you shouldn't need to shim anything, you just need the washers in the right places. Do you have a catalog from one of the T-Bird parts vendors. If you do, look at the parts breakout for the power steering pump. You will see where the washers are placed. It would help you to pick up a copy of the Thunderbird Illustrations & Reference Manual. I shows all of the parts in the car and what the part numbers are. It is really very helpful.

Guest DonnerVogel567

Jon, Exactly, how many washers were used as shims on the P/S pump? Does your pulley appear flat looking at the sheave end, where the P/S belt rides, or does the center part of the pulley project forward? Also, does the P/S fluid return line attach to a fitting on the pump or does it attach directly to a snout on the side of the P/S reservoir? Bob